Cyano Bloom Tips?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed for the past two days my water was a tad hazy. Well today looks like a Cyano bloom has taken off. I think this has more to do with the age of my tank more than overfeeding, etc..

Any tips besides water changes?

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of ppl are having algae issues lately, GHA, Dino, Cyano..... Weird. I've started having some cyano as well. Looking into some prodibio bioclean....... If I can get anyone to comment on the product that is.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium with Chaeto and vinegar dosing. This was the only thing that has worked for me. I tried dosing different bacterias and also medicines, but the cyano came back. I did 3 days without light and the cyano came back as well.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on my system it's usually associated with a bacterial imbalance. "Cyano solution" will get rid of it in the tank for a while, but eventually it will come back of you don't find the cause of the problem.
Now that I run biopellets, I only had it come back one time, and that was due to too much flow thru the pellets.
If it was my tank, I'd dose the cyano solution, them follow up with some MB7 or Special Blend

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am beginning to dose Vinegar this week for sure.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the link I posted in that thread.

Here is what got me turned onto Vinegar dosing from that link that I posted:

[h=3]Reduce Cyanobacterial Growth[/h]
Scientific research has found that cyanobacterial growth does not increase when dosing vinegar (acetate), where it was found that ethanol dosing will increase cyanobacterial growth. Cyanobacteria produce PHA to store energy when needed. PHA is an ingredient in some biopellets. So cyanobacteria can utilize some if not all of the biopellets. Hobbyists who have dosed vinegar have reported less cyanobacterial problems compared to dosing biopellets & ethanol. This was my experience as well.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of ppl are having algae issues lately, GHA, Dino, Cyano..... Weird. I've started having some cyano as well. Looking into some prodibio bioclean....... If I can get anyone to comment on the product that is.

Strange. Think it has anythign to do with time of year and lack of o2 getting to tanks?

neuro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what helped me stave off any cyano was:

1. sucking it out after lighting brushing with a toothbrush
2. reducing feeding. i was over feeding with reefroids/reef chili

ended up subsiding and going away.

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went away completely after 72 hour lights out, less "general" feeding and more target feeding and adding chaeto to my sump... cleared it all up. Been clear for about 4 months so I'm pretty sure this worked.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back