Cyano ? Dinos?

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone, just have a quick question on what I got in the tank. Is it Cyano or Dinos? This tank has been up and running for 2 months and I have not had this algae but till about 2 weeks ago. I use an Ai Prime for the light mainly for my GSP. Just wondering what this is and what I can do to treat it. Should I just wait it out, or should I get this figured out? If anyone could help that would be great!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell without a microscope. Considering that your tank is 2 months old, It could very well just be diatoms (the color certainly looks like one).

Do they disappear overnight and comeback in the morning? If so, it could be benthic specie(s) of dinoflagellates.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not cyano but with a 2 month old tank probably diatoms or could be dinos if stuff is bottomed out.. You will have various ugly stages over the course of the first year

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell without a microscope. Considering that your tank is 2 months old, It could very well just be diatoms (the color certainly looks like one).

Do they disappear overnight and comeback in the morning? If so, it could be benthic specie(s) of dinoflagellates.
I will check tonight and come back in the morning. Is there any bacteria I could be dosing just in case? Thank you!

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not cyano but with a 2 month old tank probably diatoms or could be dinos if stuff is bottomed out.. You will have various ugly stages over the course of the first year
Did not mean to put cyano lol, meant to say Diatoms. I do not have access to a microscope so I can not officially diagnose what it really is? Should I be dosing Phosphates and Nitrates regardless? I dose nothing at the moment and I am wondering if and what I need to be dosing on a regular basis. Thanks!

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check tonight and come back in the morning. Is there any bacteria I could be dosing just in case? Thank you!
I would try to confirm what your out break is first before taking any action or spending money on products.

I tried multiple bacteria in a bottle products and some just outright made my dino outbreak worse.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not mean to put cyano lol, meant to say Diatoms. I do not have access to a microscope so I can not officially diagnose what it really is? Should I be dosing Phosphates and Nitrates regardless? I dose nothing at the moment and I am wondering if and what I need to be dosing on a regular basis. Thanks!
With a 2 month old tank weekly water changes are key. You shouldn't have any corals in there yet which means you can cut your lights off. Allow your tank to develop biodiversity before adding corals and light. Increase your cleaner crew since you have nuisance algae already. Dose phytoplankton and PNS probio.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back