Cyano or Coralline

skunkiebeer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Location
Shelby
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this dark purple stuff Cyano or Coralline? It’s not hairy and doesn’t come off when I scrape it with my finger nail. My tank is over 2 years old and this stuff doesn’t look like my lighter colored coralline. I’ve never dealt with Cyano so I’m kind of panicking. It’s on some of my live rocks but not on the sand bed.
073B9A12-3B84-4465-B964-3D23ABEECDDC.jpeg
 
Coraline is my vote.
 
If it don’t blow it ain’t Cyano, it don’t hold well at all, more like a loose sheet.
 
I hope everyone’s right!!!
Definitely gonna keep an eye on it.
I’ve had this color in my tank for about a year and just recently started spreading. Does cyano spread really quick?
 
Is this dark purple stuff Cyano or Coralline? It’s not hairy and doesn’t come off when I scrape it with my finger nail. My tank is over 2 years old and this stuff doesn’t look like my lighter colored coralline. I’ve never dealt with Cyano so I’m kind of panicking. It’s on some of my live rocks but not on the sand bed.
073B9A12-3B84-4465-B964-3D23ABEECDDC.jpeg
It’s neither Coralline nor Cyanobacteria. My guess would be Peyssonnelia or a similar, benign red encrusting macroalgae, which are often incorrectly referred to as “Red Coralline” (in my opinion, they contrast beautifully against lighter colored Coralline). You might want to remove those Asterina starfish, though.
1649516840072.jpeg
 
It’s neither Coralline nor Cyanobacteria. My guess would be Peyssonnelia or a similar, benign red encrusting macroalgae, which are often incorrectly referred to as “Red Coralline” (in my opinion, they contrast well against lighter colored Coralline). You might want to remove those Asterina starfish, though.
1649516840072.jpeg
Lol yea I pluck them out here and there. So this stuff isn’t harmful?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new