Cyano or Dino’s

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t I if it’s Cyano or Dino’s and if it’s Dino’s what should I do

IMG_2164.jpeg IMG_2163.jpeg IMG_2162.jpeg IMG_2161.jpeg IMG_2160.jpeg IMG_2159.jpeg IMG_2158.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos..get a UV and scrub and vacuum the sand as much as you possibly can, you need to remove as much as you can, and the UV will take care of the dinos you kick up into the water column.

As you have found out, the dinos multiply extremely fast, so you need to do the scrubbing and removal as much as you can.

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos..get a UV and scrub and vacuum the sand as much as you possibly can, you need to remove as much as you can, and the UV will take care of the dinos you kick up into the water column.

As you have found out, the dinos multiply extremely fast, so you need to do the scrubbing and removal as much as you can.
ya I’m going to get a uv ,and What you mean as in scrubbing ?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okok will do that, should I do a black out ?
No need, that is a last resort and if you can’t get rid of them without a blackout its because you have not tried hard enough, pull the rocks out and scrub in old tank water, you will be shocked at how much comes of them.

Worth making sure at night that the tank is dark, I actually wrap mine in a blackout blind, its for the fish to sleep but it will help the dinos that feed on light, leave the sand and rocks and go into the UV, but not all dinos go into the water column at night, this is a reason why a backout is not the answer.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UV only helps with a specific kind of dino

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only this is a disaster, should I remove carbon ? Or keep it ?
Keep it and replace it often.

As long as your nutrients are not too low, you can leave it alone…you will see a huge improvement after a couple of days but you need to keep at it for a couple of weeks, once you see an improvement you can start to add pods, bottled bacteria, phyto, not one measure will get rid of dinos you need to hit them on a few different angles.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure looks like Dinos. I had a long battle with them years ago in my 200 SPS tank that I lost. I learned a lot of hard lessons. More recently I had them in my 30 gallon QT. The lesson is that in the first rank I panicked, made bad decisions and lost. In the second outbreak I was calm and patient and ultimately got rid of them.

My mistakes:
Read lots of posts and tried many fixes.
1. Lights out and wrap tank: brief respite but came right back
2. Ran UV: no effect
3. Siphoned out all Dino’s possible through filter floss and returned water: (dirty water theory) they pass right through filter floss: no effect
4. Used Dino X: killed virtually everything in tank

Almost quit hobby, then rebooted whole system:

Set up ozone system, used peroxide, added unwashed live sand (bacteria competitive inhibition) siphoned and discarded Dino’s everyday. Not sure what part worked but tank has been Dino free since

In 30 gallon tank, immediately opted for peroxide, but didn’t work on its own so don’t think that’s what fixed the 200. Chose to be patient and just siphon and discard everyday. It took awhile but the tank is clear

In retrospect I think it’s a matter of competition and nutrient availability. My big tank outbreak came after dosing a cyano treatment. I killed the bacteria and the Dino’s took advantage and bloomed. Unwashed live sand in small amounts or direct bacteria dosing might aid in getting bacterial competitors for nutrients.

Daily siphoning is best. Think of it as nutrient export. The Dino’s are taking in some essential nutrient in the system. Every day you siphon them out you reduce that nutrient. Overtime you will succeed but it may take weeks. The good news is Dino’s are easy to siphon. You can also remove detritus, and algae as well and tank will start looking pretty good

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV doesn’t work with prorocentrum. And maybe SCA, not sure.

You need to dose sodium silicate with prorocentrum.
Of course it does, UV would work with me if I went through it lol…as in my posts above, I said as much myself, some dinos do not leave the rocks or sand, I said that, that is why I recommended multiple ways…silicate is only going to help produce diatoms, which takes up the space the dinos were occupying when you remove them, that is why I recommend bacteria which also does the same thing.

Maybe try and help the OP instead of picking at my posts, I’m happy to reply to your points but it’s a little rude to the op that is trying to get help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure looks like Dinos. I had a long battle with them years ago in my 200 SPS tank that I lost. I learned a lot of hard lessons. More recently I had them in my 30 gallon QT. The lesson is that in the first rank I panicked, made bad decisions and lost. In the second outbreak I was calm and patient and ultimately got rid of them.

My mistakes:
Read lots of posts and tried many fixes.
1. Lights out and wrap tank: brief respite but came right back
2. Ran UV: no effect
3. Siphoned out all Dino’s possible through filter floss and returned water: (dirty water theory) they pass right through filter floss: no effect
4. Used Dino X: killed virtually everything in tank

Almost quit hobby, then rebooted whole system:

Set up ozone system, used peroxide, added unwashed live sand (bacteria competitive inhibition) siphoned and discarded Dino’s everyday. Not sure what part worked but tank has been Dino free since

In 30 gallon tank, immediately opted for peroxide, but didn’t work on its own so don’t think that’s what fixed the 200. Chose to be patient and just siphon and discard everyday. It took awhile but the tank is clear

In retrospect I think it’s a matter of competition and nutrient availability. My big tank outbreak came after dosing a cyano treatment. I killed the bacteria and the Dino’s took advantage and bloomed. Unwashed live sand in small amounts or direct bacteria dosing might aid in getting bacterial competitors for nutrients.

Daily siphoning is best. Think of it as nutrient export. The Dino’s are taking in some essential nutrient in the system. Every day you siphon them out you reduce that nutrient. Overtime you will succeed but it may take weeks. The good news is Dino’s are easy to siphon. You can also remove detritus, and algae as well and tank will start looking pretty good
Holy this is going to be a battle

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a link on what kind of micro scope I can get ?
Here's the one I use. I works great for me to identify problem algae, etc. it saves the headache of guessing and trying different things. Slides and slide covers are needed too.

SWIFT Compound Monocular Microscope SW200DL with 40X-1000X Magnification, Dual Light, Precision Fine Focus, Wide-Field 25X Eyepiece and Cordless Capability for Student Beginner https://a.co/d/7J7ttCO

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back