Cyano or Dino’s

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save your money, the advice will be the same either way, UV, remove and biodiversity. Put the money towards a UV.

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it does, UV would work with me if I we t through it lol…as in my posts above, I said as much myself, some dinos do not leave the rocks or sand, I said that, that is why I recommended multiple ways…silicate is only going to help produce diatoms, which takes up the space the dinos were occupying when you remove them, that is why I recommend bacteria which also does the same thing.

Maybe try and help the OP instead of picking at my posts, I’m happy to reply to your points but it’s a little rude to the op that is trying to get help.
Nice my uv bulb is out got to go get one tomorrow

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert on cyano or Dino but after changing to a stronger light trying an experimental Fuge the cyano ran rampant and what I believe to be dinos appeared. The type that persists during the night and free swimming. Only solution that worked for me was carbon dosing along with MB7 hoping to out compete the others. it's been a prolong battle and since this is a test tank switched to tap for replacing evaporated as I know I have silicates and seems that also helps. This is my third round and for now they are gone along with most of my cyano. Tap and carbon dosing along with MB7 and reducing lights to what existed previously. Oddest part is this experiment been running since September 2021 without a WC and only new variable being I went from a Kessil 160WE for FW ran at full intensity to an XRF15 Pro Gen 6 ran at full intensity. It's a fuge and figured the added PAR would help. Not what I expected and why I test. Better to fail in a 20 gallon than have to rip clean a 200 plus full of corals and other inhabitants.

I'm now purposely trying to induce it again and trying Seachem Clarity to see if that flocculant along with floss remedies the situation. It supposedly clumps green water and bacterial blooms therefore should clump free swimming Dinos. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert on cyano or Dino but after changing to a stronger light trying an experimental Fuge the cyano ran rampant and what I believe to be dinos appeared. The type that persists during the night and free swimming. Only solution that worked for me was carbon dosing along with MB7 hoping to out compete the others. it's been a prolong battle and since this is a test tank switched to tap for replacing evaporated as I know I have silicates and seems that also helps. This is my third round and for now they are gone along with most of my cyano. Tap and carbon dosing along with MB7 and reducing lights to what existed previously. Oddest part is this experiment been running since September 2021 without a WC and only new variable being I went from a Kessil 160WE for FW ran at full intensity to an XRF15 Pro Gen 6 ran at full intensity. It's a fuge and figured the added PAR would help. Not what I expected and why I test. Better to fail in a 20 gallon than have to rip clean a 200 plus full of corals and other inhabitants.

I'm now purposely trying to induce it again and trying Seachem Clarity to see if that flocculant along with floss remedies the situation. It supposedly clumps green water and bacterial blooms therefore should clump free swimming Dinos. Fingers crossed.
So many different suggestions I’m going to defiantly start with siphoning as much out lower my lights abit and add nitrates and phosphates cuz I do no I don’t have much at all and micro bacter 7, until I get my uv bulb

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many different suggestions I’m going to defiantly start with siphoning as much out lower my lights abit and add nitrates and phosphates cuz I do no I don’t have much at all and micro bacter 7, until I get my uv bulb
There's a FB page that goes into the weeds. I stopped watching because of the many suggestions and fact that without a microscope it's hard to identify what one has besides free swimming at night and benthic. Why I took my approach and it seems to have worked although no guarantee it works for others. Sometime one just has to experiment but I'm only doing that with natural approaches. Last I'd do is try chemicals since something else might fail.

UV may or may not solve it but it doesn't hurt and can be turned off when not needed plus should you have an algae bloom it will solve that. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a FB page that goes into the weeds. I stopped watching because of the many suggestions and fact that without a microscope it's hard to identify what one has besides free swimming at night and benthic. Why I took my approach and it seems to have worked although no guarantee it works for others. Sometime one just has to experiment but I'm only doing that with natural approaches. Last I'd do is try chemicals since something else might fail.

UV may or may not solve it but it doesn't hurt and can be turned off when not needed plus should you have an algae bloom it will solve that. Good luck.
I’m scared to use chemicals I don’t want to kill my sps corals

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back