0   0   0

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular snails?
Most snails will consume diatoms, and that is what I truly believe that is. Korallen makes excellent products but they are pricey, and I do not believe that is cyano. If you grab some with your fingers and it feels super slimy, with air bubbles trapped underneath the "slimyness" (dont think thats a word, oh well) then it could be cyano. One thing cyano absolutely hates is high flow, position your powerhead in that direction, without the stuff or the sand blowing around, cyano will not survive the high flow for long.
I really like Astrea snails personally, as I run into dinos with nearly every tank started with dry rock these days, and they seem to be able to handle the toxicity of the dinos.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snails will consume diatoms, and that is what I truly believe that is. Korallen makes excellent products but they are pricey, and I do not believe that is cyano. If you grab some with your fingers and it feels super slimy, with air bubbles trapped underneath the "slimyness" (dont think thats a word, oh well) then it could be cyano. One thing cyano absolutely hates is high flow, position your powerhead in that direction, without the stuff or the sand blowing around, cyano will not survive the high flow for long.
I really like Astrea snails personally, as I run into dinos with nearly every tank started with dry rock these days, and they seem to be able to handle the toxicity of the dinos.
The areas where the sand is being kicked up by the Grye is definitely alot cleaner.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awfully thick in places for diatoms. I REALLY think cyano is not a possibility. The only and best way to tell is post a picture or better yet video of a microscopic view at 200x or greater. Then you know for sure what you're dealing with.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awfully thick in places for diatoms. I REALLY think cyano is not a possibility. The only and best way to tell is post a picture or better yet video of a microscopic view at 200x or greater. Then you know for sure what you're dealing with.
Yeah that's why I am confused on whether it's cyano or diatoms. I may change to diatoms because it looks like it is only on the crushed coral substrate. Which would indicate that the substrate is fairly new? Their food source is on the substrate? It is very thick, which is why I didn't think it was diatoms in the beginning. Tbh I'm not sure which one it is, but my gut is telling me diatoms. Do you notice the algae less in the morning, and it seems to get worse as the day goes on? If they are, this is a clear indicator of diatoms.

Last edited:

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sand is moving diatoms or cyano will not likely form, 1-2 astreas per gallon, or 1 turbo per 3 gallons will quickly clear it up I imagine.
Yes but preventing the diatoms from taking hold is just managing it. They will keep trying to form if the root cause is not fixed.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sand is moving diatoms or cyano will not likely form, 1-2 astreas per gallon, or 1 turbo per 3 gallons will quickly clear it up I imagine.

Am I reading those numbers right? Seems like serious overkill. I threw 5 or 6 snails in a 20 gallon and they made quick work of a mess like that.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading those numbers right? Seems like serious overkill. I threw 5 or 6 snails in a 20 gallon and they made quick work of a mess like that.
You'd really want 1 snail per 10 gallons usually. They raise the snails per gallon so they can sell more and when the snails are done cleaning your problem, alot die and cause more nutrients for more algae. So then you'd have to buy more and the cycle repeats until you find out the problem. Although 1 snail per 10 gallons is a general rule it doesn't apply to all snails. Plus...the snails may reproduce over time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back