Cyano question

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made several posts(in other parts of the forums, so forgive me..i never saw this particular sub-forum). My tank is about to hit the two month mark (up and running). I only have a few piece of coral..some acros, wellsys, chalice, lepto, hammer and torches. I have about a dozen fish, all small (under 3", except two), they were carry overs from my previous tank. My current setup consists of 200 gallons plus a 50 gallon sump with small fuge. I have three G3 Radions, two Mp40's on 100%, a 1200 GPH return pump on 100% (adjustable), 100 pounds of cari-sea sand, 120 of cycled dry rock, Bubble Magnus Curve 9 skimmer, a phosban reactor with ROWA and chemipure Elite in each filter sock. I am constantly getting brown slime type substance on the sand and rock. It grows back immeidtaley after I clean it and sometimes gets long and stringy with bubbles. I have gone back and fourth with between cyano and dino's, although 95% of all people I ask, seem to think it's cyano. Phosphates are .07 (checked with a hanna) and nitrates are undetectable with red sea kits. What is the best approach to get rid of this stuff?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also cut back on lighting, I use the blues during the day with about 10% white at the peak and I only feed once a day, either a cube of mysis, Elos pellets or oyster eggs.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back