Cyano with 0 nitrate and 0 phos

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red cyano and possibly brown cyano as well. And I don’t know if I should be running phosguard and trying to keep my phosphates low to get rid of cyano or if I should be trying to dirty up my water to raise my nitrates and phosphates?

I took out my phosguard just now but I’m wondering if I should put some back in my filter?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate and 0 phos is bad for your tank. Cyano can bind them quickly or get them from other sources, so you will likely have more cyano at these levels. Bring them up through feeding or dosing (there are a lot of posts in the chemistry forum)

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate and 0 phos is bad for your tank. Cyano can bind them quickly or get them from other sources, so you will likely have more cyano at these levels. Bring them up through feeding or dosing (there are a lot of posts in the chemistry forum)
would turning off my skimmer help along with maybe increasing feeding?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, cyano got a foot hold because it had nothing to compete with. Turning your skimmer off until you start to get some nutrients back in the tank can be helpful.
Curious how old the tank is? It can take a while for things to stabilize, many people resort to dosing nitrates and phosphates. The decision is ultimately yours. but try to get the phosphates to around 0.07 and nitrates to 5-15.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, cyano got a foot hold because it had nothing to compete with. Turning your skimmer off until you start to get some nutrients back in the tank can be helpful.
Curious how old the tank is? It can take a while for things to stabilize, many people resort to dosing nitrates and phosphates. The decision is ultimately yours. but try to get the phosphates to around 0.07 and nitrates to 5-15.
thank you for the reply. I am worried that the cyano will feed off the phosphates if i raise them. Could I just raise my nitrates and keep my phos 0? tank is almost 2 years old

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need some phosphates and nitrates.

Get phosphates to at least .03 and Nitrates 2-5

I like to keep phosphates at .09-.11 and nitrates at 5

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need some phosphates and nitrates.

Get phosphates to at least .03 and Nitrates 2-5

I like to keep phosphates at .09-.11 and nitrates at 5
but wouldn't this allow cyano to keep growing, as in my case

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes from an imbalance of nutrients. I tend to see Cyano when nitrates are getting a bit low

@Lasse for some insight as I believe he has some post on this

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.0%
Back