Cyano?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have cyano, but now I'm not sure.

My tank levels:

5ppm nitrate
0.03 phosphate
I skim wet emptying my skimmer cup every second day sometimes set it so I empty it daily, I also have a lot of purigen in my sump too.

My flow is quite high there's only one small area I can put lps corals. About x47 in the rest of the tank.

Salifert test kit

I believe I had cyano because it appeared after my aquascape, but then maybe I got something with a bit of water from a fish about a week after maybe?

I had been dosing vibrant, I started two doses then cut down to one in case it was feeling cyano, it looked like it receded a little but then came back in force. I was reluctant to do a lights out because I was scared my anemone would go for a wonder and kill my coral.

Yesterday I syphoned all the cyano up into a 100 micron filter sock in then sump then dosed aquamedic antired, it's not an antibiotic apparently it's like an oxidiser and today I came home and my cyano had came back on the sand bed a lot.

If I do a lights out will I need to cover my tank or will just switching the lights off be sufficient? Will my anemone be ok?

I need to get some hydrogen peroxide to do the cyano test to see if it's cyano or something else.

IMG_5127.JPG

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing peroxide @ 1ml per 10 gal every 12 hrs. Can the solution be administered all at once or dripped over a period of 12 hrs?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, testing nutrients while the canyo in present. Give lower readings. I have tried all kinds of different treatments, and now I am using a cyano remover, and the result are impressive after 24 hours. I will then test my nutrients after the treatment for true results, and focus on the cause.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing peroxide @ 1ml per 10 gal every 12 hrs. Can the solution be administered all at once or dripped over a period of 12 hrs?
It is best to do it at one time as the ORP will drop for 4-6 hours after dosing. I would not recommend dosing over time as then the ORP will not have a chance to stabilize.
It is best however to do the test because if it is spirulina (which I suspect) H2O2 will not solve this issue.

Thanks Ed!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, testing nutrients while the canyo in present. Give lower readings. I have tried all kinds of different treatments, and now I am using a cyano remover, and the result are impressive after 24 hours. I will then test my nutrients after the treatment for true results, and focus on the cause.
Phormidium I bet ;)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to do it at one time as the ORP will drop for 4-6 hours after dosing. I would not recommend dosing over time as then the ORP will not have a chance to stabilize.
It is best however to do the test because if it is spirulina (which I suspect) H2O2 will not solve this issue.

Thanks Ed!

Thanks
Is it a possibility that spirulina may be coming in from food sources. I was feeding enriched brine shrimp with spirulina. Possible spores?

Last edited:
OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the alternative to chemi clean if it's spirulina?

Last edited:
OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had anyone heard of qium cyano control and would it work with spirulina? I've currently switched my lighting off. Just about to get some peroxide to test if it's spirulina or cyano

tacoshell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this same problem I did everything with chemi clean it went away for couple days then it was back, I did a lot of water changes but kept coming back the. I notice I was having my white lights on to high so I said instead of doing a complete blackout I'll just run blue lights on and hardly ever run the white and guess what it worked it all went away I don't have no nasty stuff on my sand bed no more and my corals are thriving like no other my anemones are also doing great.. I'll turn on my white lights only when I have visitors but other then that i won't run white lights no more

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the alternative to chemi clean if it's spirulina?
Currently I do not have an alternative for spirulina. It is in the plans but requires some time. So far I am looking at 6 months from growout to conclusion.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I do not have an alternative for spirulina. It is in the plans but requires some time. So far I am looking at 6 months from growout to conclusion.

Would a black out work? If I follow tacoshell advice and really cut down on my whites would that also work with cyano?

Taco, what k lights? Because I have two different types on my leds. I think the white I have are 12500k and 6500k.

Could the 6500k whites be furling cyano?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I do not support the idea of blackouts as my research does not show that method is conclusive.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried Chemiclean on my frag tank and cyano is still there after 24hrs.
I'll wait until the recommended 48.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I help a lot of people and sometimes forget... but was this conclusive to be a family of cyanobacteria?
I do accept samples for ID to make a direct plan of treatment.

Edge13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to the video, where the formula is 1 ML hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 US gallons.........is this a one shot and wait for the results thing, or is the a daily application for period of 7 days?
Sorry , quite the noob re. this stuff....

ptpablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing H2O2 the recommended 14 days, how long does it typically take to start seeing results? I'm on day 4 with no noticeable change.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back