OP
D

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just beat LCA. Don't worry about lowering your light hours. I blew the rocks off everyday and dosed silicates for a couple of months. Twice a week, add a Coral snow and Microbacter7 dose after you blow the rocks off.

awesome, this is great to know and see. Sounds like a long process, but worth being patient. Hoping with the few extra steps like phyto and copepods I can’t speed it up a bit

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome, this is great to know and see. Sounds like a long process, but worth being patient. Hoping with the few extra steps like phyto and copepods I can’t speed it up a bit
I culture phyto and copepods. I assume that this kept it to a minimum. I started culturing these after losing the 2 year battle. Now I have a fat and happy Mandarin and a dino free tank. Kill you wavemakers for 10min when dosing pods and leave your skimmer and return off for 8 hours. This will allow the pods to take refuge in the rock and sand. If your heater is in the sump, leave the return off for 30min but take the filter sock out for 24 hours. Get Tisbe and/or Apocyclops Pods. Tiggers are a waste of money. Dose phyto daily if you can. I dose 3ml/gal daily but that's overkill. You can get away with 1ml/gal every other day. The more you dose the more they replicate.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best way to control dinos is disturbing it at least daily so that it can't take hold. The fight I lost was because I had a 30" tall tank that was too difficult to blow down. After it was too late, I realized that wasn't an excuse. A 300gph pump with 1' of 3/4" tubing attached makes quick work of rock that is hard to reach. I recently learned that Julian's thing also makes a great tool to blow down rock that is hard to reach. If you have a lot of coral this is preferable as a pump is hard to localize.

OP
OP
D

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just beat LCA. Don't worry about lowering your light hours. I blew rocks off everyday and dosed silicates for a couple of month

I culture phyto and copepods. I assume that this kept it to a minimum. I started culturing these after losing the 2 year battle. Now I have a fat and happy Mandarin and a dino free tank. Kill you wavemakers for 10min when dosing pods and leave your skimmer and return off for 8 hours. This will allow the pods to take refuge in the rock and sand. If your heater is in the sump, leave the return off for 30min but take the filter sock out for 24 hours. Get Tisbe and/or Apocyclops Pods. Tiggers are a waste of money. Dose phyto daily if you can. I dose 3ml/gal daily but that's overkill. You can get away with 1ml/gal every other day. The more you dose the more they replicate.
Awesome thank you for this information. I actually just placed an order with Bulldawg reefing for their trio of pods and a diatom phyto to help this battle.

These are great suggestions; my heaters are in my sump so I will just turn my return off for 30 mins like you stated. I see it was also suggested to do half in the sump and half in the display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back