Cyanobacteria

  • Thread starter Thread starter micdri81
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

micdri81

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2024
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heavy red cyanobacteria and I was wondering what I can do to fix that? I finished a round of chemiclean and it didn't work I am doing a water change should I do another round of chemiclean tmr?

1714939814566145556324939405040.jpg
 
Out of curioisty, what do the nitrates and phosphate levels look like (and what test kits are being used)?


You could add a jar of galaxy pods or other non-tigrio pods to help eat it. Other than that I would just manually siphon as much out and see how that helps over time.

Are there corals in the tank? If not, you can just turn the light intensity down.
 
Out of curioisty, what do the nitrates and phosphate levels look like (and what test kits are being used)?


You could add a jar of galaxy pods or other non-tigrio pods to help eat it. Other than that I would just manually siphon as much out and see how that helps over time.

Are there corals in the tank? If not, you can just turn the light intensity down.
I have no idea what my nitrates and phos is I don't have a test kit yet I only use a hydrometer, I have a tiny coral and only keep the lights on for 7hrs I will probably just do another round of chemiclean and siphon what I can! ty for all your help!
 
I have no idea what my nitrates and phos is I don't have a test kit yet I only use a hydrometer, I have a tiny coral and only keep the lights on for 7hrs I will probably just do another round of chemiclean and siphon what I can! ty for all your help!


You 100% need a quality nitrate and phosphate test. Avoid using chemiclean as its an antibiotic
 
My advice is to focus on achieving good water quality, increase the flow in the tank if it is on the stagnant side and just give it time. If this is a new tank, then this is normal and just part of the ugly phase. I personally don't use any kind of treatments, chemicals or potions that are designed to get rid of algae or cyanobacteria.
 
Also need help with what I think is Cyano. These are in a fish only (4 small ones) tank. Have been heating the rocks in the second pic at 88 degrees for about 4 hours with a stream of saltwater on it. Only some has been removed. The tank was treated with ChemiClean about a week ago, followed with a water change. Am not over feeding, Phosphate measured at about 0.1 ppm. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • A7863613-85D2-475C-AC37-DA0DDBA79771.jpeg
    A7863613-85D2-475C-AC37-DA0DDBA79771.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 26
  • AE08DC2F-0002-4B95-A3F8-31CB914FB370.jpeg
    AE08DC2F-0002-4B95-A3F8-31CB914FB370.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 20

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new