Cycle and no algae?...

Joshua M Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cycle a band new tank and not run into algae? I have a IM Fusion 20 that has 15 lbs wet live rock, 20 lbs live sand. Been running RO/DI water since day one, no sunlight hitting tank at all. Fish went in 1st week a day after adding Dr Tim’s One and Only. I’ve been running my XR15 w/ AB+ since day one too. I’m on week 5 now and I’ve never had any Ammonia, Nitrates or Nitrites. Did a 2.5 gallon WC on week 4. Other than that I feed fish 3-4 times a week and corals 2 times a week. Fish get Mysis Shrimp and pellets and corals get Reef Roids. I check parameter pretty much daily. I have 4 fish and a fire shrimp (2 clown, 1 tailspot, and a 6 line). I do see coralline spots and get minor amounts of algae on the glass after several days but other than that nothing. Has anyone ever heard of a new tank being this forgiving? This is my second tank so I have cycled before. First one was pretty much same thing only a 32 gallon and I did run into a bit of algae in the beginning but really not that much. What do you guys think? A day after every feeding I keep thinking this is the day I’m gonna see a spike or some algae but nothing. I’m a bit surprised but reluctant to be happy and feeling in the clear.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cycle a band new tank and not run into algae? I have a IM Fusion 20 that has 15 lbs wet live rock, 20 lbs live sand. Been running RO/DI water since day one, no sunlight hitting tank at all. Fish went in 1st week a day after adding Dr Tim’s One and Only. I’ve been running my XR15 w/ AB+ since day one too. I’m on week 5 now and I’ve never had any Ammonia, Nitrates or Nitrites. Did a 2.5 gallon WC on week 4. Other than that I feed fish 3-4 times a week and corals 2 times a week. Fish get Mysis Shrimp and pellets and corals get Reef Roids. I check parameter pretty much daily. I have 4 fish and a fire shrimp (2 clown, 1 tailspot, and a 6 line). I do see coralline spots and get minor amounts of algae on the glass after several days but other than that nothing. Has anyone ever heard of a new tank being this forgiving? This is my second tank so I have cycled before. First one was pretty much same thing only a 32 gallon and I did run into a bit of algae in the beginning but really not that much. What do you guys think? A day after every feeding I keep thinking this is the day I’m gonna see a spike or some algae but nothing. I’m a bit surprised but reluctant to be happy and feeling in the clear.
I think it isn't a new tank. The "age" of a tank is more directly related to the quality of the rock that you put in it. If you have quality live rock that was in a system for 15 years and put it in a new glass box with new sand, the system will respond like a 15 year old tank.
Keep enjoying it!

OP
OP
J

Joshua M Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it isn't a new tank. The "age" of a tank is more directly related to the quality of the rock that you put in it. If you have quality live rock that was in a system for 15 years and put it in a new glass box with new sand, the system will respond like a 15 year old tank.
Keep enjoying it!

Thanks Brew. That’s good to know.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back