Cycle "Complete" Water change??

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

2 part question-

So, I started my cycle 17 days ago with Turbo900/ammonium chloride (Dr. Tim's), dosing Microbactor7 & Vibrent per indication and daily testing.
Tank cycle was "complete" by day 10. pH = 8.0 , Ammonia = 0 , Nitrite = 0 , Nitrate = 0
I went ahead a dosed ammonium chloride again to bring it up to 2.0ppm day 13. Nitrate did spike to 20ppm the following day after I added ammonium.
By the third day I had 0's across the broad. pH was at 7.8 or 8... Wife says 8 I think it's 7.8...can't tell on API tester :D

Part 1:
Since my nitrate is at 0, is a water change needed?
Would it be beneficial?
Plans are to add a pair of clowns this week from TSM Aquatics since I don't have a QT tank set up yet.
OR (here comes part 2)
Since my parameters are all at 0's and if I did a water change, could I use that water in the QT for another fish in 30 days from LFS?

Hope I made sense!

Thanks and stay safe!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

2 part question-

So, I started my cycle 17 days ago with Turbo900/ammonium chloride (Dr. Tim's), dosing Microbactor7 & Vibrent per indication and daily testing.
Tank cycle was "complete" by day 10. pH = 8.0 , Ammonia = 0 , Nitrite = 0 , Nitrate = 0
I went ahead a dosed ammonium chloride again to bring it up to 2.0ppm day 13. Nitrate did spike to 20ppm the following day after I added ammonium.
By the third day I had 0's across the broad. pH was at 7.8 or 8... Wife says 8 I think it's 7.8...can't tell on API tester :D

Part 1:
Since my nitrate is at 0, is a water change needed?
Would it be beneficial?
Plans are to add a pair of clowns this week from TSM Aquatics since I don't have a QT tank set up yet.
OR (here comes part 2)
Since my parameters are all at 0's and if I did a water change, could I use that water in the QT for another fish in 30 days from LFS?

Hope I made sense!

Thanks and stay safe!

Whey were you cycling with vibrant? Your tank is gonna have a crazy "nasty" phase imo. Vibrant has the water stripped clean (bad). You can add the fish but give the tank a long while to stabilize again before corals, stop vibrant dosing, idk why or where you heard that from?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to dose Vibrant nor Microbacter7 at this point, but they won't hurt anything. The issue is that they both do the same thing. Accept the ugly stage and allow your tank to balance out. You need some NO3 and PO4, If you keep them at 0 you could have a big dino and/or cyano outbreak.
Yes, you can use the water in your QT, I don't see any issues with that. Niether Vibrant nor Microbacter7 reproduce in saltwater. Have you turned on the lights yet? I wouldn't do it yet, but I wouldn't do it yet. But adding a fish would be great, or at least start ghost feeding, one small cube of something freeze dried a week would be fine. Good Luck!

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
@Ippyroy Lights were turned on just to adjust them and update them to Mobius (XR15 G4's)
They are off currently and will stay off till maybe Oct/Nov. Plans are to add fish this week! No corals yet since I know the tank is still not mature yet...maybe add a few frags Oct/Nov when I flip the switch on the lights.
I have not tested for PO4 yet.

@piranhaman00 after I read your post, I went back to YT and looked for the video by BRS..yeah, I miss understood.
Only add it to tank once!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back