Cycle Hangup

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60g fish-only is stuck on a high nitrite peak, nitrites have been testing high for over two weeks now. I have a Aquatech 300 GPH HOB filter and Aquamaxx HF-M HOB filter/skimmer running on the tank. The cycle was started using Fritz Aquatics Turbo Start three days prior to adding two fish. I contacted Fritz Aquatics customer support and they suggested that a low phosphate level could be causing the cycle delay. The phosphate level is like .25, and they said it should be sufficient. Nitrate is at about 50, so therefore I know the Nitrobacter is hard at work. The tank has been set up for approximately 8 weeks now, and the fish in it are doing fine, flourishing..... Did three 25% water changes over the weekend and did not see any decrease in the nitrite.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd turn off the skimmer. Also, if you have nitrates, then you also have the bacteria required to convert the nitrites to nitrates.

But, as long as you are testing zero ammonia and getting nitrates, then your tank is cycled...especially after 8 weeks and using bacterial starters! Don't worry about the nitrites in a marine tank. The elevated nitrites could be testing error, or possibly the nitrite test reading some nitrates into the test results as well.

I have a hard time believing the Fritz employee stating that low phosphates are causing a cycle to stall. Shoot...when we cycle tanks, they are by definition very clean and probably free of phosphates to begin with...and tanks cycle nicely without problems.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd turn off the skimmer. Also, if you have nitrates, then you also have the bacteria required to convert the nitrites to nitrates.

But, as long as you are testing zero ammonia and getting nitrates, then your tank is cycled...especially after 8 weeks and using bacterial starters! Don't worry about the nitrites in a marine tank. The elevated nitrites could be testing error, or possibly the nitrite test reading some nitrates into the test results as well.

I have a hard time believing the Fritz employee stating that low phosphates are causing a cycle to stall. Shoot...when we cycle tanks, they are by definition very clean and probably free of phosphates to begin with...and tanks cycle nicely without problems.

I agree with all that apart from turning off the skimmer, why do you suggest that? Tank has been running for 2 months, the skimmer is not going to be affecting the cycle now.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly defective test? this doesn't sound right. what test are you using and are you following instructions correctly? could you try it on some freshly mixed water and get a 0 reading?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice call everybody

Imagine this thread in 2006 when we debated zero testers in the hobby: his fish would certainly be dying

but ff to nowadays/cycle updated science: the living fish proves the only param we care about in cycling (nh3) is under control or they would not have made 48 hours. bottle bac work, fritz is the best, all this scales up nicely using the updated meters

from the living animals we can extrapolate the cycle is fine due to second update from 2020 cycling science=nobody measures nitrite anymore in reefing it doesnt even matter if its legit there or not. nitrite can't stall a cycle, even if online videos say it can, it can't, proof is these fish continuing to be normal day by day and getting nitrate on file, which shows the throughput working.

in time, if nitrites are positive, theyll even out when a cycling graph says they will. whatever reads in the interim for nitrite / no longer factored, don't even both to buy the test its useless in display tank reefing where med usage isn't a concern.

based on all this, don't buy any remedies your cycle is perfect.

by todays standards.

if this was 2008 your tank will die very soon.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its amazing this wasn't a .25 ammonia issue those are much harder to get buy-in but the outcome is still the same even if ammonia appears stuck

nh3 either rises to lethality from no control, or its controlled and all animals act normal. there is no 'burn' or irritation-level partiality where nh3 is neither controlled or uncontrolled to lethality.

just like any animal in vet science: how long do they live without kidney function

same for reef tanks. probably two days max. most overnite.

OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly defective test? this doesn't sound right. what test are you using and are you following instructions correctly? could you try it on some freshly mixed water and get a 0 reading?
It is the Red Sea Nitrite test, and I am indeed following the instructions properly. Will test it on some new water.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all that apart from turning off the skimmer, why do you suggest that? Tank has been running for 2 months, the skimmer is not going to be affecting the cycle now.
Yes, that is correct... the skimmer is fine after the cycle is complete.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back