Cycle question

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling a 20g nano for 5 weeks using Dr Tim’s and fishless cycle. New to the hobby. About a week ago, my Nitrites finally hit zero!!! So, I added more ammonium to get it back to 2. I thought I was supposed to do this and let the Nitrates fall back to zero. Then, keep doing that until the timeframe from adding Ammonium to 0 Nitrates only took 24 hours. Once that happens then my cycle is done. Am I doing this right? After adding more Ammonium a week ago, I’m getting another spike of Nitrite, but my Ammonia isn’t changing much. Seems like this is taking forever!! Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Ffelrod

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry....Nitrites instead of Nitrates for everything above...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is totally done

change all the water and start reefing

the reason why you are done is shown on all google cycling charts, you met the critical time factor and per that chart, solving for time solves for parameters. The testers used in the hobby today are estimating testers, they wouldn’t have the final say on a closed cycle like time does. No reef tank arrangement using any form of boosting takes longer than 30 days. You used bottle bac designed for one day cycling. It’s finished, no need to re proof this only helps fund bottle bac sellers. Change water to reset all variables and simply begin reefing. If you will update your thread when life is kicking around in it, I’ll link it to an upcoming article showing examples of time based cycling where testing isn’t referenced at all to stamp the cycle closed.

most cycle question threads focus on verifying readings, re taking them etc but none of the writing above hesitates in any way. You described over a month wait, with feed and bac in place, that’s an arrangement that will always cycle and can not stall, we don’t have to test with guess kits per all google cycling charts. We change out wastewater, so everyone’s starting random amount of dr tims ammonia is equated to zero before adding animals.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I hope stands out the most is that at no point did we consider an incomplete cycle, or stalled cycle, to have occurred here.
no reef cycle stalls, ever, we are all using guess testers just guessing at what bacteria do and do not do, and bottle bac sellers are profiting.

when we trust time and a scale known for fifty years before the internet (submersion cycling time charts from books) we take power away from bottle bac sellers who make us think cycles are trivial, can stall, buy more X to unstall

you stated measured ammonia movement down + time factor, now you’re solving two factors from google cycling chart— strengthening other solutions off the chart to verifiably accurate.

ammonia doesn’t have to reach zero, few testers agree on hard zero. The movement seen for ammonia plus time seals the deal, and even if your ammonia didnt agree, the tester would be wrong and you could still change all water and proceed.

final proof is first added bioload lives. In an uncycled tank first added bioload dies by next day in a cloudy mess.

whats your plan for fish disease prep and control? Before adding fish that has to be pre planned into the starting tank. Nowadays people wait to input fish until 76 days after their last addition of coral or other items (fish go in last, see fallow prepping threads)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ffelrod

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I hope stands out the most is that at no point did we consider an incomplete cycle, or stalled cycle, to have occurred here.
no reef cycle stalls, ever, we are all using guess testers just guessing at what bacteria do and do not do, and bottle bac sellers are profiting.

when we trust time and a scale known for fifty years before the internet (submersion cycling time charts from books) we take power away from bottle bac sellers who make us think cycles are trivial, can stall, buy more X to unstall

you stated measured ammonia movement down + time factor, now you’re solving two factors from google cycling chart— strengthening other solutions off the chart to verifiably accurate.

ammonia doesn’t have to reach zero, few testers agree on hard zero. The movement seen for ammonia plus time seals the deal, and even if your ammonia didnt agree, the tester would be wrong and you could still change all water and proceed.

final proof is first added bioload lives. In an uncycled tank first added bioload dies by next day in a cloudy mess.

whats your plan for fish disease prep and control? Before adding fish that has to be pre planned into the starting tank. Nowadays people wait to input fish until 76 days after their last addition of coral or other items (fish go in last, see fallow prepping threads)

Thanks! We have 2 clowns in QT now. Been in there for about a week. So, still have a couple of weeks before transfer to the tank. I’ll plan on doing large water change just before transfer them. TY again!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back