Cycle steps

brichard925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming up on the 6th day of my 25 gallon cube cycle. Lights off, using ammonium chloride dr tims and turbo start 900. I am reading zero ammonia levels after adding in 1ppm last night. Still reading nitrite of 2ppm and nitrate of around 25. What should I do next? How long should I leave lights off when I get my cardinalfish or clowns(not sure which yet.) how big of a water change should I do for the nitrates? When should i start running my skimmer.

Thanks!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're done with that part of the cycle. Easiest to do a water change now and get nitrate down to 10 or so. 50% if you can. Lights can stay off for a couple months as you don't need them until you add coral. Fish can go in right after the water change. Can start running the skimmer as soon as fish are added.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d crank the lights now or at least start ramping them up. Get the ugly stage over with fish only instead of worrying about algae or dinoflagellates killing your new frags.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't see the need for a ramp up when coral aren't involved. Either jump in or stop dipping your toe in the water lol.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't see the need for a ramp up when coral aren't involved. Either jump in or stop dipping your toe in the water lol.

Not a need but helps with algae control while parameters are bouncing all over the place in the first few months.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am coming up on the 6th day of my 25 gallon cube cycle. Lights off, using ammonium chloride dr tims and turbo start 900. I am reading zero ammonia levels after adding in 1ppm last night. Still reading nitrite of 2ppm and nitrate of around 25. What should I do next? How long should I leave lights off when I get my cardinalfish or clowns(not sure which yet.) how big of a water change should I do for the nitrates? When should i start running my skimmer.

Thanks!!
First (and this is not sarcastic) follow the instructions on the system you chose. 2. You can turn the lights on on day one or day 30 - there is no written rule. You can start running your skimmer anytime. Water changes will help the nitrates for example a 50% water change will decrease your nitrates to 12.5.

Nitrite is not toxic for tanks - but it could suggest you may want to wait a little on when to add fish - I would wait for zero - not for the concern of nitrite - only it confirms things are going well

OP
OP
B

brichard925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First (and this is not sarcastic) follow the instructions on the system you chose. 2. You can turn the lights on on day one or day 30 - there is no written rule. You can start running your skimmer anytime. Water changes will help the nitrates for example a 50% water change will decrease your nitrates to 12.5.

Nitrite is not toxic for tanks - but it could suggest you may want to wait a little on when to add fish - I would wait for zero - not for the concern of nitrite - only it confirms things are going well
Agreed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back