Cycle tank i'm upgrading to?

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a few threads on here that related to this but wanted to get some clarity for my specific situation. I have a 75 gallon (plus 30 gallon sump) i'm upgrading to a 168 gallon (plus 40 gallon sump) and am completely transferring all rock and bio balls/bricks with livestock. I put new live sand in the upgrade and have a new aquascape structure in there (~1/3 of the tank) for about the last week that I've been pouring MB7 in every day to help get ready plus a few rocks and a bio brick from the old tank.

I've also been doing 10% water changes every 2 days from old tank to new tank to get some of that water in there. I'm currently waiting until I can get a purple tang & powder blue tang in from the LFS so I can put them and my tomini into the new tank all at once. My question is, is this enough cycled rock and water to withstand the upgrade with the two new tangs and the "uncycled" new section of aquascape (it's dry marco rock)?

any suggestions?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your current stock list that a pretty big upgrade for current rock. I put my some of my rock in the tank a week before I moved everything. It should be fine but could cause a mini cycle or raise nutrients well it adjust for a couple weeks. That might make some of your SPS angry if it occurs. I didn't have a problem but went from a 70 to a 112 total volume. I think if you keep up with water changes you should be in clear but I don't how sensitive your coral are. If you were already maxed stocked could affect it.

OP
OP
T

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your current stock list that a pretty big upgrade for current rock. I put my some of my rock in the tank a week before I moved everything. It should be fine but could cause a mini cycle or raise nutrients well it adjust for a couple weeks. That might make some of your SPS angry if it occurs. I didn't have a problem but went from a 70 to a 112 total volume. I think if you keep up with water changes you should be in clear but I don't how sensitive your coral are. If you were already maxed stocked could affect it.
I wouldn't say I'm currently maxed out but I have the following fish/inverts

Tomini tang
Clownfish
Firefish
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman goby (very small)
Foxface rabbitfish (small)
Leopard wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Carpenter's flasher wrasse
Lubbock's fairy wrasse
Tiger conch x2
Cleaner shrimp
handful of hermits & snails

That sounds like a lot when I write it out lol but they're all pretty small fish and I haven't had an issue with nutrient export keeping up with water changes.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that would of been a heavy stock for a 75 should be fine if you keep up with water changes . Do expect some algae and other random new tank things. I never had a mini cycle but definitely saw some new tank things without the swings. Still cleaning up some minor issues a year later after transfer but nothing major.

Ich and tangs if you don't qt at least have a plan if it causes an ICH outbreak but always good to be proactive rather then reactive.

OP
OP
T

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that would of been a heavy stock for a 75 should be fine if you keep up with water changes . Do expect some algae and other random new tank things. I never had a mini cycle but definitely saw some new tank things without the swings. Still cleaning up some minor issues a year later after transfer but nothing major.

Ich and tangs if you don't qt at least have a plan if it causes an ICH outbreak but always good to be proactive rather then reactive.
ok I'll keep the plan going as is then and do multiple water changes over the next few days/week, continue dosing MB7 and try to transfer as much water as possible over when doing the actual move. I'll throw 2 air stones in there as well for the first week or so and test for ammonia daily

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the water holds a very small portion of the bacteria it's more to keep your perimeters the same I only added 10 gallons of old tank water from my old tank during 1 week ahead of time.

When transferring mixed half of new water with old so my coral and fish didn't get a massive swing. As we speak I'm draining My coral qt scraping all alage and detritus out and live rock. Drying rock out and swapping it with some live rock in my dt sump. No fish so it will pretty much insta cycle for new coral shipment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back