1. tidefanjam

tidefanjam Active Member Build Thread Contributor

got my newly set up tank running with a shrimp rotting on the sand, dry rock, caribsea live sand, should I put some biopure in or just let it run? I'm in no big rush really, also will I need to get a piece of live rock in for my dry rock to purple up eventually ?
    Thanks

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

Tags:
  2. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Nice scape. You don't need to put anything in there other than the shrimp, the bacteria will populate eventually. As far as coraline algae, you can seed with a little scraping from a friend or lfs. It'll come in on frags eventually too so there's no real need to seed it. It's going to take a little while before it starts to really show up.

3. sbash

sbash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

If you are good just waiting it out, pull the shrimp when your ammonia hits 2 and test every couple days until it is 0...

You will need a seed for the coraline to establish. That could be a small rock, or even just a snail or hermit will do it. Once your tank matures and your parameters are right, it will start to spread...

4. Big G

Big G Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R! Most folks use dry rock to avoid the "hitchhikers" that can come in on live rock. Since you already "seeded" the tank with live sand and a shrimp, you are good to go. Need to start testing for ammonia to see if your shrimp contributed enough to spike the ammonia concentration in your tank. Once it spikes and then declines to zero, you need to test it with some pure ammonia just to be sure. Dose it to 1ppm of ammonia which is usually 1 drop of ammonia per gallon of your tank. But check with your test kit! And then watch to see if it drops to zero within 24 hours. If so you are on your way. Cheers!

5. tidefanjam

Thanks, now I've got to do some light shopping and look at some ato's, I'm having to add about 3/4 gallon a day to keep the water over my return pump

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I have the Smart ATO. It's such an easy plug and play setup, absolutely love it.

7. Big G

Big G Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Tunze ATO with a 5 gal Trigger Systems storage res. Works great on my 90. Tank fill lasts about a week. Cheers!

8. tidefanjam

so pull the shrimp out at 2 ppm? there seems to be a lot of disagreement on taking it out versus letting it rot away.

9. glb

glb Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I have a Tunze ATO too and they're great. You don't want the ammonia to get too high. I kept mine between 2-3ppm during the cycle. That keeps the nitrates from going through the roof. Once the ammonia reaches zero, you will need to dose it up to 2ppm and wait 24hrs to see if it goes down to zero again. I do this for two days and then the cycle is done. The nitrifying bacteria need a food source until you get fish in the tank. Good luck!!

Big G likes this.