Cycled for corals?

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my Waterbox 130.4 up and running - today is day 10 of my cycle. I started with dry rock and about 60-70lbs of live sand, 2 bottles of Instant Ocean Biospira, and a small bottle of Fritz Turbostart. I am doing a fish less cycle and dosing Dr Tim’s Ammonia.

As of last night my reading are as follows: Day 9- temp 78.1, ph 7.8, salinity 1.026, ammonia 0, nitrate 5-10, nitrite .5-1 (these measurement are all taken around the same time in the evening using an API test kit)
I measured ammonia this morning and it is still showing 0 and nitrite looks to be .5.

I know the instructions for Dr Tim’s day you are cycled when you can dose 2ppm ammonia and the next 24hrs you get ammonia and nitrite readings below .2ppm. Then do a water change and you’re ready to go.

Here is my dilemma. My current tank is an Innovative Marine Nuvo 38 AIO. This tank is at our OLD house and the Waterbox is at our NEW house. The problem is I have to move the IM Nuvo today as we are closing on the old house tomorrow. The plan was to have the WB setup earlier so it would be ready to just move everything over.

So....can I transfer the corals, fish (2 clowns), cleanup crew, and some live rock to the Waterbox? Or should I just move the IM Nuvo and our everything back in for a few more days until the WB is fully ready to go? Obviously don’t want to lose anything and I don’t want to rush as I can just move the tank and put it back together. I can post daily parameters from Waterbox cycle if that would help. Thanks for your help.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is the nitrites in the new tank. I would wait personally. However, if you move the old rock into the new tank AND can do it quickly without starting a new cycle you might be ok. I would still wait if you can.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention what type of corals you have. I would be concerned about the corals. SPS and LPS corals are more sensitive to change. Most reefers want to wait until coraline algae is growing in the tank before adding SPS or LPS corals. Since you are virtually starting new with mostly dry rock your tank will need to cycle the rock, not just the water. As you know, that process will take a few weeks. Having mature rock to add will help. Whatever you decide to do, keep a close eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. IMO, adding livestock will change those reading even if you pre-cycle your tank. Be ready to make water changes if needed. If it were me... I would carefully move the old established tank keeping everything wet or in tank water and set it back up in your new home and start transferring your livestock slowly into your new tank keeping a close eye on your water quality. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. In the tank I have LPS and zoas and a big neon green toadstool. I think it’s not worth rushing to only have an issue so at this point I will just move everything (keeping wet in buckets) and put the old tank back up at the new house. At what point would you guys be comfortable moving stuff over to the new DT?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. In the tank I have LPS and zoas and a big neon green toadstool. I think it’s not worth rushing to only have an issue so at this point I will just move everything (keeping wet in buckets) and put the old tank back up at the new house. At what point would you guys be comfortable moving stuff over to the new DT?
If you can move all the old rock, I would feel comfortable moving into the new tank when nitrites are zero.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can move all the old rock, I would feel comfortable moving into the new tank when nitrites are zero.
Thanks the plan is to move most of the live rock and potentially all of it depending on how it works in the new scape. Most of it has zoas or others corals attached spreads those pieces will definitely be moved over. I will wait until nitrites are zero and then do a water change and move things over.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you need to have an established tank for corals to be healthy and thrive. A good indicator of an established tank is the growth of new coraline algae. Just because nitrites are zero and phosphate/nitrates are near zero doesn't mean you are ready for more sensitive corals like LPS and some Zoas. To help things along, you can seed your new substrate and new rock with established substrate and rock from your old tank. That move will help speed the process in establishing your tank and getting it ready for corals. The key word in reefing is SLOW.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back