Cycled Reef Question

Rodolfo Garcia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2017
Messages
202
Reaction score
119
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, my tank has recently cycled and I have not done a water change. With the stats in the picture would you guys recommend a small or large water change?
Also is my Mag, Calcium, and Alk too low?
20250621_130854.png
 
They look good to me for a newly cycled tank.
This early I would just roll with those numbers for a while and see where they end up. You could add some phosphate but I really prefer to let a new tank mature and see where the numbers end up after a few months. There are no perfect numbers and each tank will be a little different so I prefer to let my tanks get to what I think of as a state or normalcy which is where the numbers end up with no intervention on my part. Once the tank matures and I'm adding coral I then may or may not intervene as needed.

EDIT: RHF has a good article on acceptable levels below.

https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004...the most rapid,not depress the calcium level.
 
Hello guys, my tank has recently cycled and I have not done a water change. With the stats in the picture would you guys recommend a small or large water change?
Also is my Mag, Calcium, and Alk too low?
20250621_130854.png
I don’t see any reason for a water change. Alkalinity might be a bit low for stony coral but for now it doesn’t matter.
 
You’ll need to fix that 0 phosphate number first.
Most tests are not accurate for phosphate cause we are looking for so little say 0.05-.1ppm.

Without that, the whole system starves.

You also want to be careful as the zero may just be testing error so be sure. Zero may trigger pest stuff like Dino and to much feeds the pest green type stuff.

The water change is not necessary now as nitrates are only 10ppm, that’s fine, under 20 that’s fine as well.

The others are a bit low but right now, just leave that as chemistry will go nuts a bit for some weeks.

Only the Hanna UL phosphate or phosphorus tester ever gave me rational feedback.

If actual zero, can be dosed up easily.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new