OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more picture

925EA507-BD48-4DDD-9FE0-A3827CA97239.jpeg FD45CEF2-26DC-4581-A16C-99BB941C1F0D.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dragonette is laser focused on the bug

Experiment with different ways to gut load the baby shrimp / something like selco additive for real. I had a college professor in 96 that swore by that stuff, it’s a well tested not waste of money live food supplement. Which will probably increase film scum work unless we‘re upgrading skimmers along the way here, but in the end that won’t matter the tank is under command.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- the tank is super clear I mean it’s like there’s no water in there and the fish are floating hahah, all corals are doing very well. I have a picture this morning of their fresh brine shrimp hatchling harvest and I think I hatched too many hahah. Good thing these don’t count as heavy feeding lol will have to replace floss today...

62527954-ECE8-4436-9486-033AAE0478B8.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
friend Ive been reefing online for exactly twenty years. thats the best nano reef control Ive seen. you have a teaching thread for other nano reefs.
Thank you , would you happen to have any ideas on how to get the baby brine in the cup without taking the whole cup out and causing a huge siphon that’s what makes all of them fly in a cloud like that hahah, also should I cut down on the brine shrimp baby feedings or will this be oky and not cause a huge nutrient spike? I feel like it wouldn’t since there are fresh hatched and do get sucked into the floss

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they dont count as overfeeding :) have fun. Im watching to see how you innovate their delivery Ive been too lazy to consider growing them, and my super old brain coral is not thanking me for that. its receding a bit, and time for CPR in my own house /watching u for brine concentration ideas

if I could help in this way: Paul B / oldest home reef here/ extensively uses brine feeders, message him!! he w know. he's a fish feed diversity professional.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update- I saw this strange figure on my tanks back wall and I have no idea what made it or what it could be but seems to be too close to human” looking but I didn’t make it

79503154-1D63-4485-A2A7-E558E2020DD0.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snail babies are coming and they'll haunt you in the nite. step on something squishy in the kitchen at 2 am? those circulars but come to life

this is how I use your thread:
super wrecked large tank. Total disarray, has been following typical reef rules for about 2 yrs straight therefore they're invaded, all pent up with waste, and dont like reefing much. Stuff is probably dying. But you can be darn sure they haven't wasted water on CPR work.

I have them read the sand rinse thread and make a passing tank.

they then read this thread, and stay busy with their formerly-wrecked large tank for 6 mos, and for six months their reef works as it should.

new reef wants to know about testing impacts in a reef/large or small

they simply read the thread and apply it, never taking the route that the former took. And their reef works fine for at least 6 mos

current record in nano reefing for longest reefed only knowing salinity and temp: 14 years straight. some people dont want off the nano reef method; they see the craziness that ensues.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Studying opposite means opposite outcome:

this is an update from a prior link, I could not convince him to take action, they might even have left the forum altogether. Losing a former tank of the month is not easy, my first reefbowl crash due to red algae had a tremendous impact on me...I became a manual deliberate gardener that day onward.

the tank on its way up the bell curve:
was total complete hands off. No pre rinse sand prep, rocks never removed once. Slowly getting locked into place where they sit on sand by detritus, daily. Weekly, compounding. To clean is to disturb a reef, it seemed

at the bell curve: was tank of the month on anyone’s forum

a few short months downward curve, solely due to detritus plugging: gets the expected algae any reef will get. Even gardened ones. Following hands off reefing rules, adds a water treatment which kills algae. Algae dies, adds to detritus rot already at max, kills 80% of the reef. All water is swirling mix of rot compounds, but corals like clean water.

white light, burning, every minute.
And to cap it off, ten opposing ways offered to him for cause and savings by reefers who mean well/confusion factor.
We don’t know the total measure until he updates.

******predict the bell curve in reefing don’t be caught by it********

all aquariums running the active hands on nano reef method have no bell curve. The good part just lasts, if you don’t store up filth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small update- I will have to put some upgrades and tank additions such as coral to a pause indefinitely. I will continue to treat my tank as I have and do weekly water changes and all that good stuff. I was docked in pay and downed position in my company due to the virus, luckily I was not fired. I have to now find a way to afford my truck or get rid of it to be able to survive until everything comes back up. Just another reefer affected by this virus. Hopefully I’ll be back up soon and adding to my tank. And I’ll keep with the updates on my thread as always with pics and all. My tank really takes a lot of stress away, not just as a hobby /distraction but you could watch a reef tank for hours.

C1AA0433-D11F-431A-814E-55B7E7E8E7D4.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad to hear of those positive sides of that shocking change my goodness Daniel

your tank can ride for a while now, it can do cruise control due to your attention having guided the launch so far.

we can catch up cleanings later, easily, in this reef.

as you balance and sort it will work reliably for you, attention can divert it will run fine. *even with accumulation that may occur, or some rock algae, it wont kill fish and some light feeding while your maintain life balance will make it last. you can do a single catchup run to fix rocks, detritus and glass if you need to slow some water changes a little bit to conserve. I have had my own system go quite far before rip clean catchups, strongest possible wishes well

if some algae gets on the corals its easy to fix, we'd pull n fix and replant.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad to hear of those positive sides of that shocking change my goodness Daniel

your tank can ride for a while now, it can do cruise control due to your attention having guided the launch so far.

we can catch up cleanings later, easily, in this reef.

as you balance and sort it will work reliably for you, attention can divert it will run fine. *even with accumulation that may occur, or some rock algae, it wont kill fish and some light feeding while your maintain life balance will make it last. you can do a single catchup run to fix rocks, detritus and glass if you need to slow some water changes a little bit to conserve. I have had my own system go quite far before rip clean catchups, strongest possible wishes well

if some algae gets on the corals its easy to fix, we'd pull n fix and replant.
Thank you for the words and help. I’ll definitely be cleaning my tank still every week as I actually like doing it. I won’t let my reef falter that way, I love the hobby and I love being clean hahah. The good thing is I am harvesting my own pods and brine for my fish and hopefully win that aqua XD giveaway hahahaha

TEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Daniel, just want to share some encouragement: @brandon429 has been a huge guiding-figure for me over the past few days as I learn the ins and outs of the hobby on my own nano tank. He pointed me to your thread after a conversation we were having, and I just want to let you know how grateful I am that you laid out your progression on this forum for others to glean from like I have. I'll be using it as a model for my own tank moving forward.

I'm sorry to hear about your current job situation in this climate. I know that you'll bounce back, and your tank will continue to thrive with the care you've displayed throughout this thread.

I think we could all use a little bit more of your willingness to listen and follow one very particular methodology and not cherry-pick what's appealing about a dozen other methodologies—many of which have their own merits, it would seem; however, a problem that's already abundantly clear in this hobby, even to a noobie like me, is people like to take just a little bit of advice from a hundred different success stories, and it never turns out ideal.

Your tank is a perfect example of simplicity and focus. Thank you again for this thread. I know I'm not the only one it's helped or will help in the future. God bless.

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Daniel how are u cultivating your pods? Outside the tank? And are you adding them to the back filtration? I also have an all in one with the hidden filtration I just don't know If they would survive back there or surviving the return pump. Thanks!

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Daniel how are u cultivating your pods? Outside the tank? And are you adding them to the back filtration? I also have an all in one with the hidden filtration I just don't know If they would survive back there or surviving the return pump. Thanks!
Hey @Isiah1820 , I cultivate them inside my tank’s stand. I made a little setup down there for my pods and my baby brine, stays pretty warm so they do good. I’ll post a pic. I add them to my DT at night when fish won’t eat all of them or I use a turkey Baster to slowly spray them around my rock work so they go straight into the rock and start reproducing. My dragonet always hunts so I have a good population(harvest about every week and a half) and so does my DT. I tried to put them in my AIO filtration section of my tank but they did not make it, seems easier to keep outside of the tank and then move them in every week or so. Hope this helps. If you have any questions on how I do it just ask

1CFC4A62-31AE-47F3-932C-D0DB4FB94203.jpeg

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I will be trying to replicate. My live rock came with a few pods I could see but definitely want more. Where'd u fine the plastic jars?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back