Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that isn’t a haze of algae on the glass messing with us

take out a cup of that water in a clear glass cup and look through it to window

clean or opaque? What if your glass clarity is messing with us
I did indeed think of this but i scrape my glass everyday. Also, yes i took out some water and it is a slight tint of green/opaque. I will cut back and I can throw all my chaeto into my nano seahorse tank im still setting up.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can compromise

all snails and cuc back, no feed beyond normal reef food no phyto or artemia until you add back in steps and check clouding before proceed

fancy feed is later after the clean re balance

keep fish :)
fish alone can’t cloud water but choose based on how well they feed with standard clowns

no plants take out chaeto

re clean it all for a cloudless start, that’s last known clean condition. **in approximately 250 instances in reefs alone on our forum, someone with cloudy water hooked up a turbo twist cheap uv and it worked, that should be considered

take back any fish that don’t eat pellets, no fancy feed required fish for the re balance

amazon probably allows returns on non working uv less restocking fees check w seller

no alk or calcium dosing or supplements at all, just water changes. Any chem beyond pellet feed, coral food, and saltwater we want to exclude. In the tank we want rocks, sand, fish corals alone that group isn’t a cloudy group
I have my nano 5 gallon that I can transfer some CUC to, but other than them and my skunk shrimp, all the fish eat well and leave no remnants of food when they eat. All I have is two clowns, six line wrasse, and a firefish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to keep spending money on it with uv/carbon filters but that seems the only way to make changes vs the norm. For sure other 32s carry that fish loading ok without clouding, those should be ok. For today see what themes we can search out from other cloudy water threads maybe we can find a causative similarity

the uv can be kept for future challenges too, that’s what machine I’d try if scaling back + new cleaning doesn’t work

even a used turbo twist off eBay has a strong chance of helping

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is the first day with the Green Killing Machine installed, after a good cleaning earlier in the week. So far it’s still green as I put it in last night but it hasn’t been a full 24hrs I will be updating the water here.

49A789B8-7119-4B94-8A63-F6F8AC7DDD18.jpeg image.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to update yesterday as I was busy but here is the tank at day 2 of the Green Killing Machine Install. I cannot recommend this enough! It’s crazy how it’s cleared my water and I haven’t seen my tank this clear in months, water change after water change and even RIP cleans didn’t get me this clear. Think I’ll be running this all the time now lol I actually do have a picture of the first day, I included it also.

1F71A031-B383-4BE8-9F02-10389BFF9B0C.jpeg F1D5E973-78C8-4AEF-85C3-EB45FFFA2923.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel just got back in, catching up on threads this is great! I’d still change water out for 80% so the stuff its killing is exported, but clearly it looks like it will arrest growback. Thank goodness, I’m stumped on the cause

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so glad you kept corals doing well this whole time, that was the difference between typical reef annoyance and heartbreak. Well done fording this challenge

cheat burning with UV is ideal when we can’t find the legit fix, lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I was curious how is your change water made up

by lfs or are you mixing salt into RO DI water, from what source is that ro di

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I was curious how is your change water made up

by lfs or are you mixing salt into RO DI water, from what source is that ro di
I get it from my LFS. It is the same store where i bought the tank. I also wondered if their water was to blame but I actually know a fair amount of people that go there and have never had problems. I use the same water for my seahorse tank and it is crystal clear. They have a whole room setup for their water, like big tanks, and all you see when filling up are some hoses and pumps.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, tank is crazy clear, I mean see the reflections of corals clear. Everyone’s growing very well and my tank looks good. It just needs its sand siphoned and a good water change at the end of the week. I did get some cyano on a couple of rocks and I do not know why, so I turned up the flow and basted/ sucked some off. Other than that it looks good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my goodness I was wondering. you stuck this one out. Nice reefing resolve this is a true test passed although I / we / none of us know the cause lol

in time the uv can come off it will be neat to see when. It’s not hurting anything to leave it on either.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my goodness I was wondering. you stuck this one out. Nice reefing resolve this is a true test passed although I / we / none of us know the cause lol

in time the uv can come off it will be neat to see when. It’s not hurting anything to leave it on either.
Well according to the wife its so clear she wants the UV on no matter what hahaha

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure understood. i personally would not own a large reef without one plumbed in, armed, ready lol. that 1% invader is a big headache and uv has helped us for so many years cheat into clarity, Im ok with that. most who use it are

by comparison, we all cheat our tanks into getting water motion, moon phases can't move reef water / this whole hobby is a cheat lol

if corals stay alive and fish, who cares right

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this could have easily been phosphate curing out of new rocks/about the right timeframe after submersion but I still dont regret never measuring for nor reacting to phosphate

dinos would have made you hate reefing worse, this pic above showed greenwater in the daylight reflection/unlikely to be a bacterial issue and phosphates sure can boost some greenwater.

Randy says in his posts that phosphate will move out into the water over time I feel its safer to kill what phosphate blooms vs try and run po4 controls for months and months bringing on dinos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back