Cycling Aquarium...CUC recommendations?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
5,396
Reaction score
9,945
Location
Clarksville, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g tank is currently cycling. I know it will go through an ugly phase at some point. I'm setting up a 20g coral/invert QT now in preparation for when the DT cycling is complete...as well as a 10g AT for my first fish (probably clowns of some sort). I really plan on following the advice commonly given on R2R and quarantining for the 76 days!

From those who know what types of algae I can expect following a tank cycle, what CUC would you recommend i get now for the DT that would be beneficial to cleaning up the DT uglies? I know diatoms are expected, etc... There are so many snails... some are recommended, some not! some like crabs, missy seem to hate them. Shrimp? I read a wonderful thread on each type of snail and their benefits... but lost the link...I think it was by Lionfish Lair, maybe?
 
A little elbow grease perhaps? If your willing to do the work then there really is no point in a CUC except for the fascination of a pet IMO. ;)
 
A little elbow grease perhaps? If your willing to do the work then there really is no point in a CUC except for the fascination of a pet IMO. ;)

Nothing wrong with a little elbow grease...but I guess I have a fascination to watch a few pets crawling around my tank, lol. No free rides, though...everyone in their is going to have a job to do!
 
Interested in hearing what others have to say. I'm wondering the same for my tank that's cycling.

I was thinking about putting the cuc into the display and having that fish free for the 70+ days while fish are in separate qt.

After the initial cuc I would be employing the separate coral and invert qt similar to your plan.
 
Interested in hearing what others have to say. I'm wondering the same for my tank that's cycling.

I was thinking about putting the cuc into the display and having that fish free for the 70+ days while fish are in separate qt.

After the initial cuc I would be employing the separate coral and invert qt similar to your plan.

Here's a good article I found on R2R that details which CUC are better at certain jobs with pros/cons for each. I'm going to use this to determine my initial crew...

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/choosing-cleanup-crew-critters.107/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new