Cycling existing tank with existing rock

guccilamarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title reads, I picked up a Red Sea Max E 170 off someone from Facebook and I’m using the same rock he used in the tank but with new sand. I started the cycle last night and I’m getting a weird somewhat foul smell. I clean up the tank and rock but is there anything I can use to get the smell down while the cycle is running. Tank is in my bedroom and just isn’t the most pleasant smell. Thanks in advance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you didn't scrape clean the old growth, or else it died in transit and now your room smelling like the morgue when the a/c quits.

Time to take the rock out and give it a rigors bath and brushing and scraping to remove the death off the rock.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
digging your own grave GIF

OP
OP
G

guccilamarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you didn't scrape clean the old growth, or else it died in transit and now your room smelling like the morgue when the a/c quits.

Time to take the rock out and give it a rigors bath and brushing and scraping to remove the death off the rock.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
digging your own grave GIF
I already added one 4oz bottle of Dr.Tims One and Only and some ammonia chloride. After I take the rock out, clean it and put it back in, is there anything I should do? There is noticeable old growth on the rock and thought this would be problem down the road.

OP
OP
G

guccilamarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already added one 4oz bottle of Dr.Tims One and Only and some ammonia chloride. After I take the rock out, clean it and put it back in, is there anything I should do? There is noticeable old growth on the rock and thought this would be problem down the road.
and what is a rigors bath?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@guccilamarc

We made a thread solely for that type of cycle

No bottle bac was needed

It's a skip cycle. The whole tank is ready right when you set the rocks in from the other tank. Their bacteria don't die in the move, they remain. The bottle bacteria bought was only indicated for dry rock cycles which bring in no bacteria in the rocks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@guccilamarc

We made a thread solely for that type of cycle

No bottle bac was needed

It's a skip cycle. The whole tank is ready right when you set the rocks in from the other tank. Their bacteria don't die in the move, they remain. The bottle bacteria bought was only indicated for dry rock cycles which bring in no bacteria in the rocks
Brandon,
I think the poster dried the rocks in the sun and wheh he put them back in the tank he is getting a foul order. I suggested cleaning the rocks to remove whaterver(?) is rotting and causing the stench. I am out of ideas otherwise,
gl

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, to leave that out of first post is why I have the signature line describing live rock lol

If he dried the rock but doesn't disclose that in the description agreed that cycle can't be helped until the info is extracted

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back