Cycling first tank

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater and had some questions on my current cycle. I have a 40b that has been up and running for 3 weeks now with 35lbs of live rock and 30lbs of live sand. My ammonia peaked around 1ppm and my nitrite peaked at .25ppm for only 2 days before dropping to 0 and nitrate is 10ppm. Have been testing with api saltwater kit and was wondering if these were normal cycle numbers while useing live rock and sand. Also have been ghost feeding since day 1 also used seachem stability as directed on bottle.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good. Ammonia and nitrite at 0 with a decent amount of nitrate is the normal end product. Usually a water change at the end is a good idea or some other means of lowering nitrate (other bacterias, macroalgae, etc.) before the first fish goes in.

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good. Ammonia and nitrite at 0 with a decent amount of nitrate is the normal end product. Usually a water change at the end is a good idea or some other means of lowering nitrate (other bacterias, macroalgae, etc.) before the first fish goes in.
Okay thank you and was looking wondering if I wold be OK to add 2 clowns to the tank at the same time for first livestock and do another dose of the stability before adding them

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you and was looking wondering if I wold be OK to add 2 clowns to the tank at the same time for first livestock and do another dose of the stability before adding them

You can keep dosing stability when you add them.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater and had some questions on my current cycle. I have a 40b that has been up and running for 3 weeks now with 35lbs of live rock and 30lbs of live sand. My ammonia peaked around 1ppm and my nitrite peaked at .25ppm for only 2 days before dropping to 0 and nitrate is 10ppm. Have been testing with api saltwater kit and was wondering if these were normal cycle numbers while useing live rock and sand. Also have been ghost feeding since day 1 also used seachem stability as directed on bottle.
Presuming the readings are correct (no reason really to believe they are not unless the tests are done incorrectly or you are very unlucky and got faulty test kits), then yeah it is looking like it is cycling, as you are reading both a decline in ammonia and a rise in nitrate while nitrite reduced to 0.

If you want to add two clowns at the same time though, it would be better to make sure the tank can handle a decent amount of ammonia. Unfortunately it is probably hard to tell how much ammonia is produced from your ghostfeeding so eh, I can't really tell you when your tank would be 'cycled enough' for fish.

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presuming the readings are correct (no reason really to believe they are not unless the tests are done incorrectly or you are very unlucky and got faulty test kits), then yeah it is looking like it is cycling, as you are reading both a decline in ammonia and a rise in nitrate while nitrite reduced to 0.

If you want to add two clowns at the same time though, it would be better to make sure the tank can handle a decent amount of ammonia. Unfortunately it is probably hard to tell how much ammonia is produced from your ghostfeeding so eh, I can't really tell you when your tank would be 'cycled enough' for fish.
Was wanting to put 2 in together but I think I will stick with 1 for a couple weeks just so I don't over load the tank

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wanting to put 2 in together but I think I will stick with 1 for a couple weeks just so I don't over load the tank
It's not really hard to be able to add both at once. General consensus is a fully stocked tank produces 2ppm ammonia a day from the feeding, so so long as the nitrifiers can handle 2ppm a day, you can fully stock it from the get go.

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really hard to be able to add both at once. General consensus is a fully stocked tank produces 2ppm ammonia a day from the feeding, so so long as the nitrifiers can handle 2ppm a day, you can fully stock it from the get go.
Okay thanks for the info

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for the info
1619216388549.png

Here's my guide if you want something relatively straightforward to follow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back