Cycling Help

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that Dr. Tim's ammonia changed their dilution. Some bottles say 4 drops, some bottles say 1 drop. Whatever your labels says is correct and is what you should expect to dose, per Dr. Tim's.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. Don;t test so much. Let it do its thing. You are already chasing numbers. Monitor, don't chase. Be patient.

Ok thank you I wasn't sure If maybe I got it too high.

I put a piece of rock from my dad's established tank in to hopefully add some bacteria. Also turned the heat up

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been this color the past 4 or 5 days. Hard to tell what it is exactly but i know it seems high. Anything else i can do to get it to start going down? Add bio spira or something?

E78C4391-41C7-4E7C-9575-CC8DE420A692.jpeg

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any more bacteria left you can add? If so, dump some in. The rock from your Dad will catch it up in a few days. If you want to cut the ammonia down some, a water change. Does the tank smell like a pond or sewer? Do you have a skimmer or air pump you can put in?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you think itll go down from this level i will try to wait it out until the weekend and reaccess. or buy some more bacteria. Id rather not water change unless completely necessary. But I think if its still this by sunday i will water change. No skimmer and tank doesnt smell. I bought a powerhead but it doesnt work so i have to return it i know that would help

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any way to oxygenate the water? Take the return line and aim it towards the surface or put an air stone in the tank?
Just a 4 or 5 gallon water change to knock it down a little is all.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change on Thursday night and finally saw some nitrites over the weekend. Was pretty exciting lol

So now I just wait until nitrites go down and nitrates spike? Then redose ammonia?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites havent gone down at all in the past week :( . Anything i can do? Or just wait?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bacteria reproduce many times slower than the ammonia eaters. In six days though, you should be at least 12 generations of splits. What test kit are you using again? And what is the ppm you are at? Are the nitrites still going up? How about the nitrate levels?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the picture posted

Nitrites : in between 2 and 5ppm (hard to tell)
Nitrates : In between 80 and 160 ppm looks closer to 160

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I figured the 4 drops out already though

Im stuck on the Nitrites portion of the cycle for a week now. Was wondering if there was anything I could/should do

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im stuck on the Nitrites portion of the cycle for a week now. Was wondering if there was anything I could/should do

I just checked mine this morning and hit the 2.0 ppm of ammonia so I'm waiting for the nitrites too. I noticed in the video they say that nitrites take a little longer. I'm going to give it a few days checking it once a day unless someone has a better thought? lol The whole thing is supposed to take like 10 to 14 days so I don't expect quick results.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked mine this morning and hit the 2.0 ppm of ammonia so I'm waiting for the nitrites too. I noticed in the video they say that nitrites take a little longer. I'm going to give it a few days checking it once a day unless someone has a better thought? lol The whole thing is supposed to take like 10 to 14 days so I don't expect quick results.

Im already on 3 weeks! lol

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just an observation. I'm using the same test kit as well and by the picture, you posted it looks like you might have been closer to 4.0 ppm ammonia if so that might take longer?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back