CYCLING MY FIRST REEF TANK...

Welcome to IMO the best reefing forum you can find. Beware this site might cause an addiction and is not responsible for hours upon hours of reading thousands of threads!! Good luck on your first tank.
 
Welcome to R2R and to an awesome addict......hobby.
As for tank size bigger is better for water stability and opens up choices for livestock. If you have the budget for the upfront costs bigger tank bigger skimmer more lights for larger go for it. Do you have a wish list for fish? If so you can check to see what size tanks recommended for your must haves.
Also search for tanks here on R2R to see what folks are doing with sizes your considering may help
Best of luck on your adventure

A06E40D3-A17F-4A63-828F-07D4EACAB230.jpeg
 
I need to measure up to finally decide but I’d like to go down the penninsular route I’ve seen a few on here and they look great!!

I like the thought of being able to see both sides of the tank

In the long run I’m looking to set up a mixed reef with a selection of corals fish and critters...

I don’t want to use live rock most people are saying dont so I’m thinking of using reel read rock (artificial) in the display tank with live sand will this cycle the tank? If so how would i do it??
 
Hello, and welcome to reef2reef!

This may sound a little like a Allstate commercial but... You're in good hands ;)

Community here is spectacular!
 
I need to measure up to finally decide but I’d like to go down the penninsular route I’ve seen a few on here and they look great!!

I like the thought of being able to see both sides of the tank

In the long run I’m looking to set up a mixed reef with a selection of corals fish and critters...

I don’t want to use live rock most people are saying dont so I’m thinking of using reel read rock (artificial) in the display tank with live sand will this cycle the tank? If so how would i do it??
If you are using man-made Rock, you can simply rinse it and put it in your tank, and it will be ready to cycle. If you are using dry Rock which comes from the ocean, then it will need to be cured first. This is typically done by submerging it in salt water inside of a brute trash can with a circulation pump. This can typically take several weeks, or up to a few months. The goal is allow any organic material to break down, and to allow phosphates to Leach from The Rock, before it is introduced to the aquarium. You can find some in-depth articles here on the Forum by using the search feature. ;)
 
If you are using man-made Rock, you can simply rinse it and put it in your tank, and it will be ready to cycle. If you are using dry Rock which comes from the ocean, then it will need to be cured first. This is typically done by submerging it in salt water inside of a brute trash can with a circulation pump. This can typically take several weeks, or up to a few months. The goal is allow any organic material to break down, and to allow phosphates to Leach from The Rock, before it is introduced to the aquarium. You can find some in-depth articles here on the Forum by using the search feature. ;)


Hi thanks for the reply I would be using man made rock so no need for curing so I could put man made rock in the display along with live sand and that would cycle?

Could I add some live rock to the sump to help it along? Or will that make no Difference?

Would I need to ghost feed the tank?
If so what is the process for this?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new