Cycling my tank with live rock and what forst fish to add

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new at this hobby. I got a 110 gallon tank filled it with water. I have all dry rock in there, my friend told me to cycle it using live rock. I am planning on getting the live rock tomorrow. I guess my question is , what exactly am I looking for throughout the cycle. When should I test, and when can I add fish. I am not planning on adding any bacteria like macrobacter , just live rock. Also, I am planning on having a couple of clowns in the tank but know they're kind of aggressive. What fish should I add first that will get along with clowns down the road. Any tips are much appreciated.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just 4 months old and only 30gal. I did a mix of dry and live and had my numbers lined up at 3 weeks and put 3 Chromis in.
I also used Seachem Stability. I doubt live rock alone would have seen my tank ready in 3 weeks.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m also fairly new to this but I’m sure You’ll need a source of ammonia (food, shrimp or ammonia chloride) and a test kit (to measure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates). I tested my tank every morning to get into a routine. Doing so I was able to watch my cycle occur over 3 weeks. I also used nitrifying bacteria to make the process a little faster.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can save money from not buying live rock and also not have the risk of getting any bad critters hiding in the live rock.
You can cycle your tank using Brightwell Microbacter quick start and Microbacter startxlm..
If you go to the Brightwell website you can see all the great products they have.
I just finished cycling the 300 I am building a few weeks ago and now have 37 fish in it from the 140 I torn down..

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the bottles. Add 1-2 pieces of live rocks. Once ammonia tests 0 you can start adding quarantined fish.

Back