Cycling new rock

Psychotic Madman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i will be upgrading to a slightly larger tank in the next 3 months, all my live rock and sand will be transferred into the new tank. My question is, can i cycle some new, dry rock in old tank water, water that has been just removed during a water change?. Thanks for any replies. Chris.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the old tank water won't have much if any use for cycling new rock. You CAN however add a few pieces of mature rock from your current system into the new system filled with new water and rock, and the mature rock will seed the new rock to accelerate the new tank cycle.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. You might test the rock water after a week of soaking and see if it is releasing phosphorus or acquiring dKh, and make adjustments accordingly.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beneficial bacteria lives in/on the surfaces in your tank like the rock, substrate, in your filter media and not so much in the water. So no just putting new rock in old water won’t do much. If you have the space, I would put the new rock in your sump and let it cycle in there, if that’s not possible placing the new rock in a tub with a couple pieces of old rock, or filter media, or substrate would definitely be the way to go and provide similar water parameters and food for the bacteria

OP
OP
P

Psychotic Madman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, i will also have a small wave maker in to keep the water moving around the rock, and a heater, should be in there for about a month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back