Cycling new tank

PLD29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No rock or sand. Using it as a frag tank and adding a pair of clowns and some inverts for algae . Does it still need to be cycled if using tank water from the main display ?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals skeleton if lps or attached to sometging will provide bacteria needed. Wait to add clowns and inverts though for a week. I setup my tank with just corals. Then later added a pederson shrimp. Most corals produce low nutrients. Old tank water will do minimal.

OP
OP
P

PLD29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No media was the plan and just using new filter sock. Like I said this is geared more towards just being an extra coral holder tank with no sand and rock. Was just planning on adding a couple of fish and some inverts to it as well.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t think it needed to be cycled since no rock or sand will be present.

Is it constantly supplied from water from the main DT?
Example, does it share the same sump like many othres on the forum have?

Otherwise you will need to cycle it.

Things rot, unknown things will fall into the tank. Things will die and decompose.
That means it will build ammonia, and you will need to cycle.

And to my knowledge, even retail frag displays with 0 live rock, still have a sump full of live rock somewhere you can't see it.

So yes, you should cycle.

OP
OP
P

PLD29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Things rot, unknown things will fall into the tank. Things will die and decompose.

And to my knowledge, even retail frag displays with 0 live rock, still have a sump full of live rock somewhere you can't see it.

Separate from the main .

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tanks are always cycling. I have either used bottle bacteria or corals as they carry the bacteria. Using corals I go slow. If he waits to add fish they just need to wait for a week or 2 for just 2 clownfish. there wont be any issue as long as there is enough surface area from what corals are attached to or their structures with bacteria on them. The better term is bacteria establishment. Is there enough bacteria and surface area for the conversion and to support. Now if they were going to stock lots of fish then would need an appropriate amount of sueface area but wouldnt need much.

things rotting or decomposing wont be an issue as its just corals mainly for frag tank.

on the other side, there is absolutly nothing wrong with doing what you stated either. But they will be adding nutrients in how most people establish bacteria and dosing to levels this tank wont see.

OP
OP
P

PLD29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are always cycling. I have either used bottle bacteria or corals as they carry the bacteria. Using corals I go slow. If he waits to add fish they just need to wait for a week or 2 for just 2 clownfish. there wont be any issue as long as there is enough surface area from what corals are attached to or their structures with bacteria on them. The better term is bacteria establishment. Is there enough bacteria and surface area for the conversion and to support. Now if they were going to stock lots of fish then would need an appropriate amount of sueface area but wouldnt need much.

things rotting or decomposing wont be an issue as its just corals mainly for frag tank.

on the other side, there is absolutly nothing wrong with doing what you stated either. But they will be adding nutrients in how most people establish bacteria and dosing to levels this tank wont see.
Kinda how people who setup tanks at frag shows. I’m assuming they are not cycling those for weeks before setting them up. Even if they are hiding rock and other things in the back like one user said . Isn’t that all being done the night before a show or even that same morning . Frags have been in the main display for some time now that would be used in this .

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are comparing the frag tank at a show, which has no fish. Yes you can fill the tank with water and add corals, but the tank needs to be cycled first if you want to add fish.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are comparing the frag tank at a show, which has no fish. Yes you can fill the tank with water and add corals, but the tank needs to be cycled first if you want to add fish.
Bacteria is already established on the frag plugs and skeletal structures. If they wait a week and they have the tank stocked with alot of frags, there will not be an elevation of ammonia. The bacteria is already in system from what they put in. 2 clownfish wont hurt a thing. Tanks are always cycling because they have bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back