Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say not until you have some fish.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably worth waiting until after the cycle before adding a small amount of chaeto. You need to have a nutrient source or the chaeto will either stall out or shrink/die. If you're determined to add it now because you're worried nutrients will quickly get out of hand, go ahead and do so - but if it doesn't grow, you may need to add a supplement like ChaetoGro until your bio load can support it on its own.

Fuge's are nice because the macro algae can tell you a lot about excess nutrient level in your tank, just based on how it reacts.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn Is there a minimum nitrate level to shoot for?
I've not had success with adding a refugium or chaeto when a tank is so immature. Your nutrients are going to fluctuate quite a bit while the system matures. Nutrients in a young tank should be able to be controlled easily with water changes. My tank was almost 3yrs old before it would grow cheato regularly... but, every tank is different.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had success with adding a refugium or chaeto when a tank is so immature. Your nutrients are going to fluctuate quite a bit while the system matures. Nutrients in a young tank should be able to be controlled easily with water changes. My tank was almost 3yrs old before it would grow cheato regularly... but, every tank is different.
I was getting so ahead of myself thinking about a refugium that I didn’t realize the water changes by themselves could keep my nitrates in check, thanks.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 5-10 and phosphate 0.05-0.1
Thanks, I was just thinking of nitrates, it didn’t even click with the phosphorus. Now that I think about fertilizing my lawn and the NPK ratio that makes sense!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back