Cycling observations

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noted a couple of things while cycling my tank.

1. The pH seems to be dropping as my tank is cycling. I am trying to keep it around 8. But I have had to add some reef buffer twice to maintain this level.

2. My top off was starting to drive down my salinity so I am adding salt water rather than simple RO/DI as my top off to maintain 1.024

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry much into maintaining PH in early systems.
Chemistry will flux a lot at the start.
The salinity thing I don’t get. If your salinity drops then your adding more RODI than what has evaporated.
I’d bring salinity up to 1.025-1.026 and Alk to say 10-11dkh and work towards the least flux in these two elements at all times.
The higher DKH will help your PH as well.
Lots of water movement will help as well.
In addition, keep an eye on nitrate/phosphate, don’t let them zero out or Dinos will show up.
Use a brush weekly and suck up any crap.
You have to help clean while your “cleaners” are populating, then, they will keep your rocks clean, sand white and help process nitrates.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry much into maintaining PH in early systems.
Chemistry will flux a lot at the start.
The salinity thing I don’t get. If your salinity drops then your adding more RODI than what has evaporated.
I’d bring salinity up to 1.025-1.026 and Alk to say 10-11dkh and work towards the least flux in these two elements at all times.
The higher DKH will help your PH as well.
Lots of water movement will help as well.
In addition, keep an eye on nitrate/phosphate, don’t let them zero out or Dinos will show up.
Use a brush weekly and suck up any crap.
You have to help clean while your “cleaners” are populating, then, they will keep your rocks clean, sand white and help process nitrates.
Thank you. I haven’t checked the Alk at this point but will do so. Imagine for my RSR 250 I would have to work to get the salinity up.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I haven’t checked the Alk at this point but will do so. Imagine for my RSR 250 I would have to work to get the salinity up.
The increase would only be necessary if your going to keep corals. Fish only run better at lower salinity, say 1.023 or lower.

Get the salinity up first, then check Alk.
Salinity changes all the major chemistry, so if salinity is “out” everything is “out”
You can move that up .001 safety every 24 hours.
Good luck!

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The increase would only be necessary if your going to keep corals. Fish only run better at lower salinity, say 1.023 or lower.

Get the salinity up first, then check Alk.
Salinity changes all the major chemistry, so if salinity is “out” everything is “out”
You can move that up .001 safety every 24 hours.
Good luck!
dKh is 10.5

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back