Cycling without ammonia

bosog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, can i cycling without ammonia? I'm cycling my tanks about 2 weeks now and only add some pellets only to feed the bacteria.. am i on the right side?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank needs ammonia to do the cycle. If you're feeding it and added bacteria, the food you're adding will break down into ammonia, then nitrite and then nitrate. Soinds like you're already on the correct path :)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, can i cycling without ammonia? I'm cycling my tanks about 2 weeks now and only add some pellets only to feed the bacteria.. am i on the right side?
The method you selected depends on the food pellets having a low carbon to nitrogen ratio so that ammonia is produced by the bacteria digesting the pellets. This approach will take a month or more if the bacteria are stingy with nitrogen excretion. Also you may never see nitrite nor nitrate accumulation and won’t know if the ammonia oxidizing bacteria have populated the aquarium.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back