Cycling question

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's weird then. I mean a lot of reports recently that Dr. Tim's One and Only does not seem to really be working, but well if you have live rock defo should have the nitrifiers you'd need. Do you have a pic of your tank
Don’t mind aquascape redoing it sometime

Attachments

• 0EDD3309-2754-4A0C-8B24-ECAB2AA23323.jpeg
    0EDD3309-2754-4A0C-8B24-ECAB2AA23323.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 66

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is in sump it was cured
Ah okay. Beats me. What I'd suggest is say make up a gallon of water, and read with your ammonia test kit. Then dose that gallon of water to 2ppm ammonia. Then measure with your ammonia test kit to see if you read 2ppm or something else. That's just a quick check to see if your ammonia test kit is likely reading valid.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey look your tank qualifies to be in two huge cycle study threads, it was also a skip cycle tank if the live rock is a few pounds...meaning a few pounds of live rock anywhere in your water flow direction will handle any common reefing bioload, its very strong and able.

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False ammonia tests are real. I took Brandon’s advice with my new tank. I saw the cycle happening with nitrate and nitrite even though some results just seemed odd. Cycled with a piece of shrimp. Ammonia wouldn’t budge from .2-.4 ish. It’s got 4 fish in it now. I finally got some replacement things for my seneye. Forgot what they’re called. Ammonia is .001. Same day as my redsea ammonia kit gave .2. It’s a big tank so I did about 80% water changes over a week before I added first fish. Tried to be as safe as I could. But these test kits really aren’t accurate for cycles. But you can still see if it’s happening. I won’t give advice since I’m no expert but I’ll vouch for what he’s saying.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False ammonia tests are real. I took Brandon’s advice with my new tank. I saw the cycle happening with nitrate and nitrite even though some results just seemed odd. Cycled with a piece of shrimp. Ammonia wouldn’t budge from .2-.4 ish. It’s got 4 fish in it now. I finally got some replacement things for my seneye. Forgot what they’re called. Ammonia is .001. Same day as my redsea ammonia kit gave .2. It’s a big tank so I did about 80% water changes over a week before I added first fish. Tried to be as safe as I could. But these test kits really aren’t accurate for cycles. But you can still see if it’s happening. I won’t give advice since I’m no expert but I’ll vouch for what he’s saying.
Was hoping op would have tested a fresh water sample, and then one dosed with ammonia, and then the tank though. Wanted to see how badly off the test was (like if it still measured 2ppm ammonia even in a fresh water sample), but oh well.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did a large water change before adding the clowns 100% to be exact

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping op would have tested a fresh water sample, and then one dosed with ammonia, and then the tank though. Wanted to see how badly off the test was (like if it still measured 2ppm ammonia even in a fresh water sample), but oh well.
after doing water change ammonia is reading like 0.2 almost 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are going to have to decide if ammonia misread threads you can search out are valid here or not.

as you can see, fish are normal. that's always how it goes down.

dont forget tan conversion per the rules on the kit...required since you're now generating known free ammonia.

when its all said and done, your reef is working perfectly post an update pic to see fish in place. you went from having no consistent source of free ammonia, which runs the filter system, to having some now, and its working.

the more you test for ammonia and nitrite, the more your retail expenditures are about to go up.

you can cease testing for nitrite and ammonia from here on out, your fish and basic water clarity instated prior are your gauge.

if we can get an update pic it will help to show fish positioning etc. you arent running seneye data, put low stock in the readings you're getting, manage the tank on a macro level based exactly on how it looks. one of the main standouts in ammonia false alert threads is the fact all prior logged examples never apply when someone's test kit gives the alert, we're literally trained to go make a purchase to offset every alert.

there's a way to interrupt that though.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse has pointed out that we should feed lightly in the new system that seems reasonable for any concerns but still the basic trust is all set for feed processing/waste processing but those fish will truly behave markedly different if ammonia is uncontrolled, as quickly as tonite no joke. there's no delay to ammonia noncontrol, its the aquarium equivalent of total kidney failure and all animals that endure that condition show it, without testing required to confirm malady

we can predict it based on prior cycles, and then we w know in two days :) very fun stuff. cycling has consequence, there's consequences for loose guessing. pretty fun to see this follow up

Back