Cycling question

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump
I started off with caribe sea sand dry rock that I’d cleaned filled with Saltwater using Rodi water.
I used microbactor start and the guy at the fish store said to add a shrimp to the tank as well so I bought a piece of shrimp placed in a bag and placed in the aquarium.
It’s been about 3 weeks and the ammonia is starting to drop but the nitrite is still very high.
Do I just wait for both to drop to zero and for there to be nitrates ?
I’m just wondering if I’m doing everything right ?

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump
I started off with caribe sea sand dry rock that I’d cleaned filled with Saltwater using Rodi water.
I used microbactor start and the guy at the fish store said to add a shrimp to the tank as well so I bought a piece of shrimp placed in a bag and placed in the aquarium.
It’s been about 3 weeks and the ammonia is starting to drop but the nitrite is still very high.
Do I just wait for both to drop to zero and for there to be nitrates ?
I’m just wondering if I’m doing everything right ?
Sounds like you are on the right track! Patience is key now. Then, after you see nitrates and no more ammonia and nitrite, just do a good size water change and you should be set to very slowly start adding some fish!

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track! Patience is key now. Then, after you see nitrates and no more ammonia and nitrite, just do a good size water change and you should be set to very slowly start adding some fish!
I’m transferring 5 fish and the clean up crew from a smaller tank, my plan is to acclimate the fish then add them into the new tank.
Whatever snails I can move ahead of the fish I will.
I plan on using a refugium ,I made a basket and placed in sump next to the skimmer (see photo)
How long should I wait before starting the refugium?

Attachments

• CC1DB5B8-AC1D-4E27-935D-7A43722C042A.jpeg
    CC1DB5B8-AC1D-4E27-935D-7A43722C042A.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CEF3B6F1-2247-40EB-88C7-23F41775E0E0.jpeg
    CEF3B6F1-2247-40EB-88C7-23F41775E0E0.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 22

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m transferring 5 fish and the clean up crew from a smaller tank, my plan is to acclimate the fish then add them into the new tank.
Whatever snails I can move ahead of the fish I will.
I plan on using a refugium ,I made a basket and placed in sump next to the skimmer (see photo)
How long should I wait before starting the refugium?
I would wait a bit until you have some nitrates and phosphates and a good fish load to feed and keep those numbers up. Sometimes putting in a refugium too early can bottom out nutrients and the algae doesn’t do well if that happens in my experience.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a bit until you have some nitrates and phosphates and a good fish load to feed and keep those numbers up. Sometimes putting in a refugium too early can bottom out nutrients and the algae doesn’t do well if that happens in my experience.
Thank you

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

in sorry to steal the show but I have some questions about my current tank which is 3 weeks into its cycle.

iv got 0 Ammonia but high Nitrite and Nitrate is creeping up.

I used Dr Tim’s Ammonia and One & Only.

im adding Stability in daily currently.

Any tips? Should I add a little more more ammonia ?

Attachments

• 30DC8515-5B2A-4CDF-824B-5745E25C2CC8.jpeg
    30DC8515-5B2A-4CDF-824B-5745E25C2CC8.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 24
  • F35AACB6-6185-4EC8-B8A3-3121F3FBC338.jpeg
    F35AACB6-6185-4EC8-B8A3-3121F3FBC338.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite and Nitrate are not harmful to fish, you can start adding them slowly,
as soon as there is no ammonia left.
Will I need to wait on moving the corals until the nitrates are gone ? I only have a few struggling mushrooms and pulsing Xenia but I want to keep them alive,?because of the algae in my current tank should I dip my coral before I move it ?

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will I need to wait on moving the corals until the nitrates are gone ? I only have a few struggling mushrooms and pulsing Xenia but I want to keep them alive,?because of the algae in my current tank should I dip my coral before I move it ?
What are the nitrates at? You will want to keep nitrates between 5-10 usually.

PezJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite and Nitrate are not harmful to fish, you can start adding them slowly,
as soon as there is no ammonia left.

Everything I know about the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium is stuff I learned back in my freshwater days, so I was a little surprised by the claim that nitrite isn't harmful. So I did some research, and it turns out that the chloride ions in saltwater protect the gills and render nitrite mostly harmless.

I've been keeping fish for ~25 years and saltwater for 15(ish) and somehow I missed this little nugget of knowledge.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically remove the shrimp and wait for my nitrites to drop and nitrates to appear ?
Everything I know about the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium is stuff I learned back in my freshwater days, so I was a little surprised by the claim that nitrite isn't harmful. So I did some research, and it turns out that the chloride ions in saltwater protect the gills and render nitrite mostly harmless.

I've been keeping fish for ~25 years and saltwater for 15(ish) and somehow I missed this little nugget of knowledge.
You are saying that I can add fish if I still have nitrates as long as the ammonia is gone ?

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are saying that I can add fish if I still have nitrates as long as the ammonia is gone ?
Nitrates in small amounts do not harm fish. You just really don’t want any ammonia, and should probably wait if you are reading Nitrites. Nitrates are not to be confused with Nitrites…. Super confusing I know. Ha!

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates in small amounts do not harm fish. You just really don’t want any ammonia, and should probably wait if you are reading Nitrites. Nitrates are not to be confused with Nitrites…. Super confusing I know. Ha!
I meant nitrites, I read in an earlier post that it was ok to add fish if there were nitrites still present as long as the ammonia was gone
It’s probably best to just wait until both are gone and I’m seeing nitrates

Back