Cycling tank

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 11/3/23 I filled up tank with 100 pounds of ocean direct live sand 140 pounds of caribsea life rock in sump 50 3-1/2" bio blocks & 1 pound of seachem matrix let run for 48 hrs tested water with API test kit results are as follows ammonia 0.50 ppm ph 8.2 nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm Temp 79.

On 11/5/23 I added one bottle of seed 5oz and over the course of two weeks I added half a gallon of fritzyme 9.

Tested tank on 11/21/23 with api test kit Same results as above.
Rasied ammonia to 2ppm With fritz fishless fuel

Today 11/24/23 received my new test kit Hanna marine master and these are the results in pic's temp 82.2 I guess Im asking if there is any progress here and what should I do/ look for next.
Im new to the saltwater side of the hobby need to know if Im going in the right direction thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20231125_002228_Hanna Lab.jpg 17008903828676602759497904385783.jpg

Last edited:

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 11/3/23 I filled up tank with 100 pounds of ocean direct live sand 140 pounds of caribsea life rock in sump 50 3-1/2" bio blocks & 1 pound of seachem matrix let run for 48 hrs tested water with API test kit results are as follows ammonia 0.50 ppm ph 8.2 nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm Temp 79.

On 11/5/23 I added one bottle of seed 5oz and over the course of two weeks I added half a gallon of fritzyme 9.

Tested tank on 11/21/23 with api test kit Same results as above.
Rasied ammonia to 2ppm With fritz fishless fuel

Today 11/24/23 received my new test kit Hanna marine master and these are the results in pic's temp 82.2 I guess Im asking if there is any progress here and what should I do/ look for next.
Im new to the saltwater side of the hobby need to know if Im going in the right direction thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20231125_002228_Hanna Lab.jpg 17008903828676602759497904385783.jpg
Looks like a great setup and I like the appraoch to columns. That's going to be fun to fill up with coral in the future.

Sounds like you don't yet have fish and you're tryting to cycle without. Depending on what your goals for the tank are perhaps you could consider getting a hand-full of blue chromis. They are great starter fish and will help your tank enter the right zone with beneficial bacteria. I actually have my original ones and they're peaceful with other reef fish that are introduced. (Unlike a damsel that can be a pest as they age)

Also, I would recommend getting started trying to grow coraline. It comes in a bottle you can treat based on the directions. Your goal here is to get that coraline to grow. You'll know it is when you see the small purple spots forming on the rocks. Once that happens then you know you are growing coral at a small scale and and you can dive deeper into the hobby.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great setup and I like the appraoch to columns. That's going to be fun to fill up with coral in the future.

Sounds like you don't yet have fish and you're tryting to cycle without. Depending on what your goals for the tank are perhaps you could consider getting a hand-full of blue chromis. They are great starter fish and will help your tank enter the right zone with beneficial bacteria. I actually have my original ones and they're peaceful with other reef fish that are introduced. (Unlike a damsel that can be a pest as they age)

Also, I would recommend getting started trying to grow coraline. It comes in a bottle you can treat based on the directions. Your goal here is to get that coraline to grow. You'll know it is when you see the small purple spots forming on the rocks. Once that happens then you know you are growing coral at a small scale and and you can dive deeper into the hobby.

Good luck!
Thanks for the compliment truly appreciated but what do you think about the levels in the tank does it look like it's cycling

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment truly appreciated but what do you think about the levels in the tank does it look like it's cycling
Oh sorry about that. Quick answer yes.

Long answer, because you bought cool toys maybe you care to know: You can see ammonia and then also some nitrites have already formed which is the next step to nitrate which is ultimately the end product we have designed systems to remove.

Test the tank weekly and you'll see the nitrate cycle forming. Eventually you'll see that ammonia turn to nitrite and then to nitrate. The ammonia numbers will decrease as the bacterial load increases to manage the wastes.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry about that. Quick answer yes.

Long answer, because you bought cool toys maybe you care to know: You can see ammonia and then also some nitrites have already formed which is the next step to nitrate which is ultimately the end product we have designed systems to remove.

Test the tank weekly and you'll see the nitrate cycle forming. Eventually you'll see that ammonia turn to nitrite and then to nitrate. The ammonia numbers will decrease as the bacterial load increases to manage the wastes.
Ok, great good to know Im on the right path. one more question. Do you think I should add a small eight ounce bottle of fritz turbo start.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, great good to know Im on the right path. one more question. Do you think I should add a small eight ounce bottle of fritz turbo start.
I'm generally not a fan of additives so I actually personally would not make that add. Reason is the only long term success with this is a self sustaining cycle that is achieved over time. I've never been successful pressing the turbo button on anything reef related and not regret it with a major setback later.

Nothing good happens fast on the reef.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO I WOULD NEVER FISH IN CYCLE I PREFER TO TAKE MY TIME I HAVE BEEN SETTING THIS TANK UP SINCE JUL 5 NOT TRYING TO RUSH THINGS LOL!
Ok, I was just reacting to the guy who said to "get a handful of chromis" to help cycle. :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I also disagree with fish-in cycle, really no need for it.

Just wait patiently for the ammonia to drop to zero.

But I would correct the temperature though, 82.2 is too high, it should be closer to about 77-78.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycle has been done, completely done, for weeks now

=half a gallon of fritz...

What governs your fish addition isn't cycling, that's fully done its disease management choices. Have some... don't skip diseases preps or they'll die/ see the fish disease forum.

No more testing for the cycle is required, it's simply totally done and no degree of fish you add will overcome it. Disease is what they'll bring in if you skip the required preps in the stickies from the disease forum.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I also disagree with fish-in cycle, really no need for it.

Just wait patiently for the ammonia to drop to zero.

But I would correct the temperature though, 82.2 is too high, it should be closer to about 77-78.
I honestly just have it set to 82 for now because I'm cycling, I read somewhere that high temps during cycling between 80-85 helps bacteria populate faster don't quote me on that. Any info in that area would be helpful.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you acclimate new fish matters. It's not like freshwater ways

You'll receive them at a low salinity most likely, then try and introduce them into a high one. Test your fish transport water with your own gear to know its salt levels/ range vs your tank

Find acclimation means for that range in the disease forum.

Fritz is adhered to all tank surfaces in 48 hours/ this tank is weeks old already / its why the cycle is long done. You are into fish management choices currently.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back