Cycle Gone Wrong?

WhiteBeltReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose some questionable results I'm getting from my tank while going through the Nitrogen cycle.

Tank is a Cade 1200 Peninsula - So 133g display with ~20g sump.
Added 170 ml of Nitrocycle on 12/23. (I added a little too much I realize now).
Added 8oz of Turbo Start bacteria on 12/23

Started testing Ammonia and Nitrite every day or two starting on 12/25.

I'm consistently getting max results on both test kits which are from Red Sea. 2.0 on Ammonia and 1.0 on Nitrite. The ammonia took a little longer to turn that dark green today, but that's the only positive changes I've seen with my cycle.

Other info: I did a ~10-15% water change on 12/30. I've been dosing 6 capfuls of Microbacter 7 the last 4 days.

Looking for advice on whether to sit back and wait it out, do a large water change, go get my water tested at the LFS.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose some questionable results I'm getting from my tank while going through the Nitrogen cycle.

Tank is a Cade 1200 Peninsula - So 133g display with ~20g sump.
Added 170 ml of Nitrocycle on 12/23. (I added a little too much I realize now).
Added 8oz of Turbo Start bacteria on 12/23

Started testing Ammonia and Nitrite every day or two starting on 12/25.

I'm consistently getting max results on both test kits which are from Red Sea. 2.0 on Ammonia and 1.0 on Nitrite. The ammonia took a little longer to turn that dark green today, but that's the only positive changes I've seen with my cycle.

Other info: I did a ~10-15% water change on 12/30. I've been dosing 6 capfuls of Microbacter 7 the last 4 days.

Looking for advice on whether to sit back and wait it out, do a large water change, go get my water tested at the LFS.
I would wait another week or two. Then test again. And don't add anything else. Just let it run.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for ammonia to drop to zero, and for some nitrates to show up. Many folks don't test for nitrite, its not harmful to our fish, but since you do show nitrites, it means the cycle is coming along, just need for ammonia to be zero. It takes a few weeks, sounds like you started a week and half ago, so still a bit of waiting time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have added Algaebarn Nitrocycle cycling bac AND Fritz Turbostart. What is your ammonia source and how much was added? I find it hard to believe this tank isn't ready to start stocking slowly. Ammonia is being processed, evidenced by the presence of nitrite, but if you added a large excess there may still be higher than desired levels present. @brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ten page thread of 100% red sea ammonia misreads, showing high levels in years-old tanks causing pure panic for all pages

this setup is the same, it's the test kit not the cycle. fritz works fine. my recommend is to stop testing for ammonia and nitrite for the rest of the life of the tank and immediately switch into focusing on the disease forum and what happens when we stock reefs that skip quarantine and fallow.

if you added fish to the system right now, they wouldn't be harmed, they'd live, which is literally the only outcome you can find for any fritz cycle. ignore the tests.

you are beyond ten day's wait was the deciding factor for me. that's how long all my cycles are given in work threads / and we get 100% results skipping testing and instead counting # of days instead.

there has never been one instance in reefing of a calibrated seneye machine showing a failed cycle after day ten lead up/that also factors in my advice as well.

I know it always sounds flippant and dismissive when I say that every cycle here on the site is done, and none are mid-cycle, but until I find a single calibrated seneye report saying otherwise/ or actual tanks that can't carry bioload any day its added/that's the right stance to hold based on precedent.

non digital ammonia and nitrite test kits cause 100% of cycling problems. water bacteria don't struggle to setup shop in fed/inoculated waters after nearly two weeks wait.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back