Cycling tank

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can a beneficial bacteria last without a source of food. Basically started a new tank, put some dry rock, a couple small live rocks from my main, I threw a shrimp in there, removed a couple days later and added some instant ocean biospira. Haven't fed since then (2 weeks ago) I will also be gone for a month and half, figured I'd start the cycle while I'm gone. I put a vortech pump to add circulation and a heater. Will the tank be able to cycle? Also, how will salinity affect the tank since I can't top it off? So far, I have no algae growth nor cyano.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can a beneficial bacteria last without a source of food. Basically started a new tank, put some dry rock, a couple small live rocks from my main, I threw a shrimp in there, removed a couple days later and added some instant ocean biospira. Haven't fed since then (2 weeks ago) I will also be gone for a month and half, figured I'd start the cycle while I'm gone. I put a vortech pump to add circulation and a heater. Will the tank be able to cycle? Also, how will salinity affect the tank since I can't top it off? So far, I have no algae growth nor cyano.

Bacteria are tough and can survive a long time if kept wet. They can go basically dormant. However, you should get an ATO (auto top off) and test it running for a while before leaving. In that time you could come home to an empty tank from evaporation.

EDIT: if you are running a heater and pump unattended for over a month you must top off the water or there may be a serious fire risk.

OP
OP
P

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, I do have an ATO, just got it today, but it will go on my stocked tank. The new tank is a red sea 350, I don't think the 73 gallon display will all evaporate( only running the display and not the sump),but you have a good point, safety first. What temperature can they survive in? What if I turned off the heaters, water should stay around 70 ish.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature can they survive in?

“Temperature
The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120° F (49° C)

Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.“

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back