New tank cycle question

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been 11 days since I started cycle with 2.0 amm and bio-spira, now zero amm and these are my levels. The water level on my tank has evaporated, can I add more water or will it affect the cycle? Was told after tank showed zero amm and nitrites, to add 1.0 amm and wait 24hrs to see if amm and nitrites go to zero, if they do I water change 30% and then add fish. Any idea how long this will cycle? Thx any tips will be helpful
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change should not affect the cycle, unless you clean the sand bed, or really make the tank squeaky clean. You should be fine by just taking out and adding water in. And like @TX_REEF said, it could take anywhere from a week to a month, depending on how you are doing it.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, can I add water tho since my waters evaporated? or will it affect my cycle?
You most definitely can, the bacteria that is used to break down ammonia and nitrites, is not typically found in the water column. It's in the sand bed, on the rocks, or in the sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So its been 11 days since I started cycle with 2.0 amm and bio-spira, now zero amm and these are my levels. The water level on my tank has evaporated, can I add more water or will it affect the cycle? Was told after tank showed zero amm and nitrites, to add 1.0 amm and wait 24hrs to see if amm and nitrites go to zero, if they do I water change 30% and then add fish. Any idea how long this will cycle? Thx any tips will be helpful
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png
A cycle is called a cycle when two things occur. . . . ammonia rises then falls and stays at a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- then you are cycled.
Being that you are using API kits , I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.
A typical cycle period is 7-21 days and you want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. That last bit of nitrite will clear soon (a day or two) with biospira.
You can add a second ammonia dose if you want, but it's not necessary. Small -medium water changes will do no harm to cycle at this point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back