Cycling with 24hr light to progress through algae blooms faster

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys New to the group but have been a long time user for reference and debates. I have recently gotten back into the hobby after about 8 years out. This time I’m going all the way. I’m currently in week two of the nitrogen cycle. I’ve started my 25 bow front with 100% DRY rock, 65% live sand from the LFS and 35% silica based pool filters and from the Home Depot. Unfortunately ignorance got the better of me and I made a mistake of adding silica sand. I do not want to remove at this point. I’ve also read mixed reviews on this topic...

my main questions is... if silica if food for nuisance algae... before I add any live stock to my tank would it be wise for me to leave the tank light on 24/7 to give the algae a chance to bloom and then starve itself before I add any livestock?(besides the possible cleaner crew if my parameters are ok)
Glad to be become a member
Thanks in advance
Derek

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many tank it never goes away, see the nuisance algae forum. The notion that we should invade our tanks on purpose and that they self clear is very offensive to half a million bucks in lost animals rocks etc due to start overs. People who got lucky made that a blanket approach for the hobby, yet where the work is needed / help threads on any forum those rule makers aren’t there to help.

the uglies should be prevented, not welcomed.

i recommend opposite, based on time spent in the nuisance algae forum: do the brs 4 month approach.

It is the polar opposite to the initial plan, has a decent following. If you do decide to do this we still want to track your timing and outcome in our work threads.

buy cured aquarium rock, skip both the uglies and the cycle, just like at MACNA

SurgeonFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica are Diarom food but the good news is once they fix all the free silica they usually go away on their own. I just had a diatom bloom and all I did was siphon out the gravel and do 10% water changes every other day and they are completely gone after about a week. I did use re-save a rock and 100% live sand so if I had to guess you will have a harder time getting rid of it but who knows.

I am a big proponent of the Refugium as a place to grow nuisance Algae away from your display. My refugee him has a powerful hydroponics light and currently has a bunch of slime and hair algae along with the macroalgae but I believe giving at this safe place to grow, and of course my tang game, keeps my display looking pristine

Back