Cycling with Aquavital Bactosprint???

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I set up a qt tank for invertebrates last night. I plan to add some invertebrates next weekend. I tried to skip the cycle by adding my DT water to the 10 gallon with 3 rocks from my DT. I also add fresh sand, and 2 new rocks. I have a hang on the back filter, heater, and light. The tank came with this Aquavital Bactosprint. I am not sure if I should add it or not. I think it helps add bacteria to the tank but idk. Does anyone know what it does and would it be worth using it? Do you think I could add inverts next weekend?

IMG_1555.jpeg image.jpg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I set up a qt tank for invertebrates last night. I plan to add some invertebrates next weekend. I tried to skip the cycle by adding my DT water to the 10 gallon with 3 rocks from my DT. I also add fresh sand, and 2 new rocks. I have a hang on the back filter, heater, and light. The tank came with this Aquavital Bactosprint. I am not sure if I should add it or not. I think it helps add bacteria to the tank but idk. Does anyone know what it does and would it be worth using it? Do you think I could add inverts next weekend?

IMG_1555.jpeg image.jpg
Not familiar with this particular product, but the idea of adding nitrifying bacteria to established LR is not terrible. I have done the same for the very same reason and I didn't see any negative results. I added Seachem's Stabilize. I would recommend thou, to get Seachem ammonia alert and see if you have some spikes happening. I let my coral/invert qt sit around for about 2 weeks before I started adding corals and inverts.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with this particular product, but the idea of adding nitrifying bacteria to established LR is not terrible. I have done the same for the very same reason and I didn't see any negative results. I added Seachem's Stabilize. I would recommend thou, to get Seachem ammonia alert and see if you have some spikes happening. I let my coral/invert qt sit around for about 2 weeks before I started adding corals and inverts.
Ok I think I will add the bottle of this bacteria. I have a seachem ammonia alert that I can put in.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1/2 of a cube of some frozen food just to feed the bacteria in the meantime. I used my LR from my old tank in my fish QT, two large tangs, and ammonia spiked to .5 for two days. I did the same with my invert qt, and ammonia stayed in the safe range.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1/2 of a cube of some frozen food just to feed the bacteria in the meantime. I used my LR from my old tank in my fish QT, two large tangs, and ammonia spiked to .5 for two days. I did the same with my invert qt, and ammonia stayed in the safe range.
Ok do you think I should get a different type of bacteria? It seems like nobody knows about this brand and it might not be a good idea to add it. What brand do you recommend?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hat is LR?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok do you think I should get a different type of bacteria? It seems like nobody knows about this brand and it might not be a good idea to add it. What brand do you recommend?
I used Seachem stabilize, but to be honest I saw better results with Microbacter 7.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 11

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have LR, so I would just go with 2mls for a 10-gallon tank. Get some snails and crabs.
How are you planning on QTing the corals?

I would recommend buying in bulk. Every time you add something new to that tank, you need to restart your clock. I have 6 frags, snails and crabs waiting until mid Nov. to make it to my display tank.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have LR, so I would just go with 2mls for a 10-gallon tank. Get some snails and crabs.
How are you planning on QTing the corals?
I will order this pic below.
I will qt the snails for 45-60 days at 81 degrees.
Coral I am honestly not sure. What would you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_1556.png
    IMG_1556.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 11

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the 81-45 is the new thing. I just keep everything in there for 76 days. Again, once I add, I have to restart the 76 days thou. So since Aug.18th I haven't added anything.

* I do 76 so that I don't need to obsess over the temp.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the 81-45 is the new thing. I just keep everything in there for 76 days. Again, once I add, I have to restart the 76 days thou. So since Aug.18th I haven't added anything.
Ok maybe I will do that. You do the same for both corals and invertebrates?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe I will do that. You do the same for both corals and invertebrates?
Yeah. I don't want to get ich in my tank, hance the 76-day period. However, I have read here that 81-45 day is based on newer research. Yeah, I do do it for both inverts and corals just in case there is a tiny chance that they are carrying something in the water they are in. That's why I buy everything at once, 4-6 frags, snails, and crabs (although the crabs hammered my snails, so now I will separate them by rotating the orders for them, not all at once). Wait 76 days, go ahead with the new order. If you have patience like I do, and you QT your fish, you shouldn't have any problems with bacterial and protozoan hitchhikers in the tank, well most of them.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I don't want to get ich in my tank, hance the 76-day period. However, I have read here that 81-45 day is based on newer research. Yeah, I do do it for both inverts and corals just in case there is a tiny chance that they are carrying something in the water they are in. That's why I buy everything at once, 4-6 frags, snails, and crabs (although the crabs hammered my snails, so now I will separate them by rotating the orders for them, not all at once). Wait 76 days, go ahead with the new order. If you have patience like I do, and you QT your fish, you shouldn't have any problems with bacterial and protozoan hitchhikers in the tank, well most of them.
Yup I agree and have qt all my fish and want to do the same for corals and invertebrates.

I decided to ad the bottle of aquavital Bactosprint. I put half a cube in and tank should be good to go soon. How do I know exactly when it is ready for invertebrates and corals?

What type of snails do you recommend? I have a 90 gallon. So you think I could try a starfish?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for nitrates to show up and keep an eye on the ammonia. You may seem a small spike, or not, but nitrates will be your indicator. Once you have nitrates, or see algae growing, wait 2-3 days, test it again and you should be ok.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for nitrates to show up and keep an eye on the ammonia. You may seem a small spike, or not, but nitrates will be your indicator. Once you have nitrates, or see algae growing, wait 2-3 days, test it again and you should be ok.
I will test nitrates when I get home.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested nitrates. 5.6! Remember i used my DT water. That had a nitrates at 6.0. Since I now have nitrate's Does that mean I can add invertebrates? I did at a that bacteria so do I need to wait?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested nitrates. 5.6! Remember i used my DT water. That had a nitrates at 6.0. Since I now have nitrate's Does that mean I can add invertebrates? I did at a that bacteria so do I need to wait?
No, since you used DT water these nitrates are not necessarily from the cycle. Watch the ammonia over the next week or so after you add some food for the bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back