OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, since you used DT water these nitrates are not necessarily from the cycle. Watch the ammonia over the next week or so after you add some food for the bacteria.
Ok so the main thing I need to worry about is ammonia. If there is zero ammonia by next weekend, then that means the tank is done cycling? I added some food to the tank after I added the bacteria. Should I add more food throughout the week?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the main thing I need to worry about is ammonia. If there is zero ammonia by next weekend, then that means the tank is done cycling? I added some food to the tank after I added the bacteria. Should I add more food throughout the week?
Most likely yes. Make sure that some ammonia registers. When I set up my QT for corals, I have never seen it go up. I did a similar thing to you. Added some LR, and sand from my old setup, some bacteria, Seachem Stability, and ammonia never moved up. So odds are you will see something similar. Nitrates might move up a bit too.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely yes. Make sure that some ammonia registers. When I set up my QT for corals, I have never seen it go up. I did a similar thing to you. Added some LR, and sand from my old setup, some bacteria, Seachem Stability, and ammonia never moved up. So odds are you will see something similar. Nitrates might move up a bit too.
No need to add more food. This 1/2 of the cube should be sufficient.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I plan to add some invertebrates in a week. If ammonia does not go up that is not a problem right or does that mean it did not cycle? I have no problem if nitrates move up. I want the water to hit more dirty and more algae for the snails. If there is not a lot of algae I can feed the sails nori right?

Thanks

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I plan to add some invertebrates in a week. If ammonia does not go up that is not a problem right or does that mean it did not cycle? I have no problem if nitrates move up. I want the water to hit more dirty and more algae for the snails. If there is not a lot of algae I can feed the sails nori right?

Thanks
because you are using the LR from your old setup, and you added some bacteria, there is a chance that it won't move. A pretty good chance. Give it a week, and you should be ready to go. Try it with some small inverts to be sure. But I really doubt that you will have any problems. Yes, you can give your snail some nori. Not too much. Just stick it to a small rock. But I doubt that it will be necessary. Algae will show up fast, just run your lights and you should be fine.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because you are using the LR from your old setup, and you added some bacteria, there is a chance that it won't move. A pretty good chance. Give it a week, and you should be ready to go. Try it with some small inverts to be sure. But I really doubt that you will have any problems. Yes, you can give your snail some nori. Not too much. Just stick it to a small rock. But I doubt that it will be necessary. Algae will show up fast as it already has food, just run your lights and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because you are using the LR from your old setup, and you added some bacteria, there is a chance that it won't move. A pretty good chance. Give it a week, and you should be ready to go. Try it with some small inverts to be sure. But I really doubt that you will have any problems. Yes, you can give your snail some nori. Not too much. Just stick it to a small rock. But I doubt that it will be necessary. Algae will show up fast, just run your lights and you should be fine.
Alright sounds good. Thanks for the help!!!

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was messing around with my rocks and decided to completely change the rock scape. I also add 1 more piece of dry rock. Will this affect the cycle?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, how old is the rock from your DT? And is it actual LR, or dry rock that has been in the water for a bit?
I had been in my DT 4 months.
Is that alright?
IMG_1228.png

Last edited:

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's dry rock, but it has nitrifying bacteria on it. It should be ok, but in that case I would definitely add a little more. If you can get it, I used Stabilize from Seachem, or Microbacter 7 from Brighwell. I am just not sure about the product that you already have. The dry rock that you have is pretty poor compared to actual live rock from the ocean. The porosity is just not there. I am still leaning toward that everything will be fine, but I just want to be sure.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's dry rock, but it has nitrifying bacteria on it. It should be ok, but in that case I would definitely add a little more. If you can get it, I used Stabilize from Seachem, or Microbacter 7 from Brighwell. I am just not sure about the product that you already have. The dry rock that you have is pretty poor compared to actual live rock from the ocean. The porosity is just not there. I am still leaning toward that everything will be fine, but I just want to be sure.
Yeah I totally understand.
Do you think I really should order the seachem stabilize. It not like a fish is going in here so snails should make it.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not. I am kinda OCD about those things, but you will most likely be fine. It's really your call.
I think I am not. I really need to get this thing going because I am have lots of algae in my big tank and if I don’t get snails in there soon it could get out of control!

I totally understand where you are coming from and it could be a good idea to add seachem but I think I should be able to make it.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am not. I really need to get this thing going because I am have lots of algae in my big tank and if I don’t get snails in there soon it could get out of control!

I totally understand where you are coming from and it could be a good idea to add seachem but I think I should be able to make it.
I am in the same boat. My snails and crabs have one more month on QT. The two tangs I have are going off on the algae, but it's not enough. Another thing that helps with algae and it's something you don't have are Amphipods & Copepods.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. My snails and crabs have one more month on QT. The two tangs I have are going off on the algae, but it's not enough. Another thing that helps with algae and it's something you don't have are Amphipods & Copepods.
I have a baby hippo blue and he has been eating a little of the rocks.
I added some pods from algae barn about 2 months ago and it helped. Should I add some more? Should I add some to the at tank? I was feeding my tank phytoplankton every but I stopped. Should I continue that and what does it even do?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby hippo blue and he has been eating a little of the rocks.
I added some pods from algae barn about 2 months ago and it helped. Should I add some more? Should I add some to the at tank? I was feeding my tank phytoplankton every but I stopped. Should I continue that and what does it even do?
I don't feel too comfortable answering these questions, especially since I forgot to feed phyto to my copepods :anguished-face:. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I will do it at minimal rates. Not a bad idea to add some to our coral/invert QTs. I didn't consider it. Since we will probably keep them running permanently, it can very useful. Without fish to eat them up, maybe we can actually grow some.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back