Quarantine tank & live rock??

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT finished cycling today (nitrite dropped to 0.1) and I don't know why but I hate seeing only plastic, and I wanted to add live rock to match things from my DT, just for a while I don't have fish yet, I can remove it while treating. By the way does anyone quarantine invertebrates here?
20240321_112711.jpg
it looks like this, 15L

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to keep a rock or two in my QT. Just keep in mind that if it's in the QT, it should never go back.

Either parasites or medications such as copper will end up being in the rock and will cause problems if it is returned to the tank.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to keep a rock or two in my QT. Just keep in mind that if it's in the QT, it should never go back.

Either parasites or medications such as copper will end up being in the rock and will cause problems if it is returned to the tank.
No i mean like I put the rock, I remove it BEFORE treatment you know..

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT fish, coral, inverts, basically anything you are adding to your system could carry hitchhikers. When you do get the Invaders, don't panic. There are Natural Solutions for every issue. Aptasia get Nudi's. Asterina Starfish get Harlequin Shrimp etc.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT fish, coral, inverts, basically anything you are adding to your system could carry hitchhikers. When you do get the Invaders, don't panic. There are Natural Solutions for every issue. Aptasia get Nudi's. Asterina Starfish get Harlequin Shrimp etc.
I don't understand about asterinas, mine never invaded the tank but cleaned the tank, I'm talking about diseases not hitchhikers, I love hitchhikers (except aiptasia)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quarantine, but if I did I would use these bricks from Home Depot. They are baked clay so are inert and won't remove medications. There are places to hide and can be stacked. The fish hate PVC (as I do) and if I put a PVC elbow in my tank the fish would not go near it for a week. Bricks are much more natural. I even sometimes use them under my to lift it where you can't see them.

I have been using bricks in my local New York tank for decades. They are also cheaper than those 1 1/2" PVC fittings.

I would soak them first or even boil them only because you don't know what chemicals Home Depot uses near them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back