Cycling with predator tank

bronzewhaler22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering am looking at a 950g what will I need to cycle am thinking fish but probably will not be able to catch out after wondering any predators that are hardy enough to be in cycle

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering am looking at a 950g what will I need to cycle am thinking fish but probably will not be able to catch out after wondering any predators that are hardy enough to be in cycle
Several raw jumbo shrimp and bacteria in a bottle. Micro bacter is what I used. I cycled my 300 and other large tanks like this and have strong bactera colonies. Do not use fish to cycle the tank.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
bronzewhaler22

bronzewhaler22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool but the amount of bacteria that is recommended is way too expensive but will cycle with shrimp or food

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask where in the world did you find a 950g aquarium?? Thats huge!
You may be able to cycle with some large fully grown damsels and just catch them before introducing any predators.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This way will work

add one bottle of biospira for eight dollars and four large pinches of grinded up flake food.

wait a month, the whole system is cycled, dont have to test for anything. It can’t not be cycled, we used triple wait time to equalize a low initial input

also an option, even cheaper, skip the bottle bac add the feed and double the wait time to 60 days, you’re still cycled and the cost is fish food. No parameter testing is required this arrangement will cycle any reef. Your issue is the simplest cycling challenge ever pondered. You specifically do not have to buy bottles of bac equal to your volume, that assumed bac can’t get in unless we add them for cost, not true. They get in free given time and your gallons don’t matter. This approach will cycle a pond or a pico reef.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also very important in all cycles not just this one

you specifically do NOT have to simulate the bioload of eventual fish loading during the cycle, that is something completely made up in forums.

your surface area present during wait times, rock and sand, are so far beyond the needs of the tank as the sole filter that the above method works because it prepares a typical initial coating of filter bacteria and then the degree of surface area contact spreads it out which amplifies it’s power. It means specifically on the dates stated above, though you only got the trace ammonia from degrading fish food, on the start date your system will handle big fish, better quarantine those guys as cycling is the completely easy and nearly free part.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool but the amount of bacteria that is recommended is way too expensive but will cycle with shrimp or food
You don't need to add exactly the amount of nitrifiers specified on the products. Adding less will result in less microbe to begin with, but of course they'd multiply anyways.

Personally I'd buy a bottle of FritzZyme TurboStart 900 and just dump it into the tank, and that'll be the bacteria you'd need. :D

And then use ammonium chloride for a more controlled cycle.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take all concern and focus on feeder fish here, and apply it to reading the fish disease forum on disease prep and qt

with one seven dollar bottle of bac and two cents worth of fish food, cycle is done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason we wouldn’t cycle that way elysics is because it accomplishes nothing above feed and wait. They are both equal cycling outcomes and the way mentioned in post 5 doesn’t introduce disease immediately

take all concern and focus on feeder fish here, and apply it to reading the fish disease forum on disease prep and qt

with one seven dollar bottle of bac and two cents worth of fish food, cycle is done.
Does it make a difference whether you introduce disease immediately or later? You can quarantine or not quarantine at all times.

But it's a nonstarter if op can't get feeder fish

Upvote 0

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What feeders do you recommend

You can use mollies, guppies, and ghost/grass shrimp. Freshwater feeders will not introduce saltwater diseases. Mollies and guppies can convert to saltwater and stay in your sump or use a freshwater holding tank. There is a predator fish subforum here that you can read through for all sorts of information

Upvote 0
Back