Cynarina lacrymalis spawning project & setup.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a few half dollar sized green cynarina for $75 each. Is that a good deal?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a few half dollar sized green cynarina for $75 each. Is that a good deal?
Is the skeleton that size, or the whole coral? If the skeleton is that big, then $75 is a steal since it'll open up to 2-3.5". If the coral, when open, is that big, then it's not a great deal but still worth it IMO. They are too beautiful to pass up.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is starting to settle in nicely. Mine is the indo one I think... idk.
Ppl mis pronounce things. Who cares? Accept it. Lol.
Does it really matter of the Roman's or Greeks defined the word as we use it today? No it does not...
D

Attachments

• 20220413_235843.jpg
    20220413_235843.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 78

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...
I was wrong.

Back in the 80s when reefing started to really take off, it was "common knowledge" that Acropora was named for the lack of a crop in the polyp structure. This idea was promulgated by word of mouth, internet message boards, and even magazine articles.

However, we were all wrong.

The FACT that the proper pronunciation is "a-CROP-or-a" certainly didn't help, and made it easy for us all to accept the inaccurate data as truth.

After spending the past few days researching this, I still haven't quite pinned down the intent of the name's meaning.

Acro means "high," "first," and "extreme."

Not very specific, eh?

Pora sounds like it means pore, but the more I dig into it, the more it seems to more specifically in this case mean mouth. I'm guessing that the name-giver just went with pore to describe mouth.

The original description is in German, which complicates things.

So, Acropora means what, exactly?
High mouth?
First mouth?
Extreme mouth?

My money is on extreme.

So fine, you win. The name doesn't refer to the lack of a crop.

I'm still right about the pronunciation, though.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...
I was wrong.

Back in the 80s when reefing started to really take off, it was "common knowledge" that Acropora was named for the lack of a crop in the polyp structure. This idea was promulgated by word of mouth, internet message boards, and even magazine articles.

However, we were all wrong.

The FACT that the proper pronunciation is "a-CROP-or-a" certainly didn't help, and made it easy for us all to accept the inaccurate data as truth.

After spending the past few days researching this, I still haven't quite pinned down the intent of the name's meaning.

Acro means "high," "first," and "extreme."

Not very specific, eh?

Pora sounds like it means pore, but the more I dig into it, the more it seems to more specifically in this case mean mouth. I'm guessing that the name-giver just went with pore to describe mouth.

The original description is in German, which complicates things.

So, Acropora means what, exactly?
High mouth?
First mouth?
Extreme mouth?

My money is on extreme.

So fine, you win. The name doesn't refer to the lack of a crop.

I'm still right about the pronunciation, though.
Thanks for helping us figure this out! Debate is literally what science is for, and lately I've failed to see much in modern science xD The pronunciation is also very interesting, I thought it was the second to last syllable that is supposed to be stressed? I guess we all learned something lol

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping us figure this out! Debate is literally what science is for, and lately I've failed to see much in modern science xD The pronunciation is also very interesting, I thought it was the second to last syllable that is supposed to be stressed? I guess we all learned something lol

I'm pretty sure you're right about the penultimate syllable being stressed.

Nothing wrong with a little scholarly debate... Especially when OP has a color coded pronunciation key in the first post of a thread!

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're right; the second to last syllable gets the emphasis. Not the first to last, or penultimate as Chris said. Two syllables back from the end when there are three or more syllables, or the first syllable when there are only two. Really long words often get two emphasized syllables.
Usually.
When things are named for people or places, this rule is sometimes ignored to keep the honorific sounding recognizable.

The classic old Innes book included pronunciations with descriptions of the fish, but he had it almost totally wrong. The widespread distribution of that book over three generations led to a whole lot of hobbyists grossly mispronouncing things to a probably incurable degree.

Leporinus fasciatus, for example.
Is it lep-o-REE-nus fas-see-AY-tus?
How about lep-or-EYE-nus?
Heh. I've seen a lot of arguments over this one.
Both are wrong.
It's lep-OR-in-us fas-SEE-uh-tus.
The name means roughly the rabbit-lipped fish with vertical bands.

Admittedly, it's harder and not as much fun to pronounce these names correctly, but remember the whole point of them is standardize the pronounciation across the globe to avoid confusion between speakers of varying languages.
To we Americans, these pronunciations sound a little strange, but to many other people around the world, they sound perfectly natural, since their own languages use inflections different from ours.

I know a few german hobbyists and scientists, by the way. Acropora was first described by a German. The ones I know all pronounce it aCROPora, which I used to just chalk up to accent before I started studying this stuff.

Not long ago, I heard a YouTube guru refer to White Clouds as "Tanthis ALBOnoobs."
The problem is widespread and deeply rooted indeed!
Now that you know the rule, you can probably figure out the correct way to say it.

So sorry for making such a mess of your coral spawning thread. I never meant for things to get so out of hand.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're right; the second to last syllable gets the emphasis. Not the first to last, or penultimate as Chris said. Two syllables back from the end when there are three or more syllables, or the first syllable when there are only two. Really long words often get two emphasized syllables.
Usually.
When things are named for people or places, this rule is sometimes ignored to keep the honorific sounding recognizable.

The classic old Innes book included pronunciations with descriptions of the fish, but he had it almost totally wrong. The widespread distribution of that book over three generations led to a whole lot of hobbyists grossly mispronouncing things to a probably incurable degree.

Leporinus fasciatus, for example.
Is it lep-o-REE-nus fas-see-AY-tus?
How about lep-or-EYE-nus?
Heh. I've seen a lot of arguments over this one.
Both are wrong.
It's lep-OR-in-us fas-SEE-uh-tus.
The name means roughly the rabbit-lipped fish with vertical bands.

Admittedly, it's harder and not as much fun to pronounce these names correctly, but remember the whole point of them is standardize the pronounciation across the globe to avoid confusion between speakers of varying languages.
To we Americans, these pronunciations sound a little strange, but to many other people around the world, they sound perfectly natural, since their own languages use inflections different from ours.

I know a few german hobbyists and scientists, by the way. Acropora was first described by a German. The ones I know all pronounce it aCROPora, which I used to just chalk up to accent before I started studying this stuff.

Not long ago, I heard a YouTube guru refer to White Clouds as "Tanthis ALBOnoobs."
The problem is widespread and deeply rooted indeed!
Now that you know the rule, you can probably figure out the correct way to say it.

So sorry for making such a mess of your coral spawning thread. I never meant for things to get so out of hand.

Now I'm even more confused.

Looking in more detail, if the last syllable Is a heavy, then the penultimate gets emphasis. If it's light, as in acropora (we agree on the "ah' at the end, at least) then it's the anti penultimate as you correctly point out.

Is really a question of where the syllables themselves fall? If so, I believe latin words have as many syllables as vowels.

So,
ac-ro-por-a

Following your correct anti penultimate rule, the RO gets the emphasis, right?
Screenshot_20220416-005845.png

I guess this comes down to the question of where the syllable breaks are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, how are the Kin-uh-ree-na?
They are doing good! The uglies started a couple days ago so I placed the urchin & a temporary turbo in there to take care of it. As you'd expect, things started falling over pretty fast, so some corals have slightly different placements. I'll see if I can do an update today, but it might have to wait until after Easter.

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm even more confused.

Looking in more detail, if the last syllable Is a heavy, then the penultimate gets emphasis. If it's light, as in acropora (we agree on the "ah' at the end, at least) then it's the anti penultimate as you correctly point out.

Is really a question of where the syllables themselves fall? If so, I believe latin words have as many syllables as vowels.

So,
ac-ro-por-a

Following your correct anti penultimate rule, the RO gets the emphasis, right?
Screenshot_20220416-005845.png

I guess this comes down to the question of where the syllable breaks are.
Yes! The syllable breaks are the key to it all, and the rules for that are often ridiculous and seemingly arbitrary. In general, breaks don't fall on hard vowels, with the next consonant being included to soften that hardness.

Ac-RO-por-ah would result from breaking on the hard O, yes, but as you heard from the scientists' presentations, the p is included to soften the O to an ah sound.
Yes, this admittedly doesn't make much sense.
Ptero means wing, with a silent p.
Pterodactyl, Pterois, Pteronotropis, etc...
When the PT falls within the word instead of starting it, though, the letters get split into separate syllables.
Lepidoptera is lep-ih-DOPT-er-ah instead of lep-id-oh-TEEER-ah or even lep-i-DO-tehr-ah, for example, which ruins the entire meaning of scale-wing.
It's a headache.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, how's the tank going?
The tank is doing well! Just getting to the end of the uglies, so that's exciting. I want to get some fish for it soon!
I'll take some video of it soon. Marc Levenson encouraged me to start a Youtube channel for documentation, so I hope to get that started up soon!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time.
The tank is doing really well! Algae has just about disappeared from the tank, and the sand is ack to it's crisp white state. I forgot how destructive turbo snails were! They've knocked my corals over more times than I can count. For now, I'm just going to leave them be, since the corals don't mind and it actually looks very nice with the polyps all pressed together.
IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG
I'm beginning to raise temps and increase photoperiods now, the last increase will be in mid June when I get it up to 15 hrs per day @ 78 degrees.
I've noticed something very interesting over the past month. It appears that each polyp has gained a certain amount of a white pigment appearing on each polyp. The corals also seem to be less transparent in color, which is interesting. I assume that it's some sort of defense against higher light levels, so I'm curious to see if these while pigments diminish when I begin dimming the lights this autumn. So many things to learn about these animals!
PS, I'm about to begin working on a timelapse feeding video that I'll share here in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back