Cynobracteria

Craigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with an outbreak of Cyanobacteria. I’ve tested the tank with one round of chemiclean, it’s a 100% better now. My question and what I’m looking help for is it’s on my corals, is there a dip or something I can use to kill the bacteria without harming my corals. My parameters are good other than slightly elevated nitrates and phosphates. I’m thinking about scrubbing the rocks and doing a perioxide dip before returning to the tank. Would perioxide help with the corals. What dilution should I use for the perioxide?

E9C73758-D160-479E-AE4C-A21A9301465D.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take them out of the tank, prep a bowl of new saltwater and swish them around vigorously in it. Cyano should come off quite easily.

I'm not recommending this, however, I have taken all kinds of corals and rinsed them in flowing tap water over the kitchen sink. Just be sure the water isn't too hot or too cold. A 30 second rinse and then back into the tank. I've done this with zoas, lps and sps to rinse off algae. I've even used a soft toothbrush (gently) to help clean them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back