Cyphastrea and Zoas

dmbohn468

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘First corals’ question— Zoanthids.com had a sale and I had only set out to get zoas because my tank is only about 2 months old, but for the price of about 20 bucks I was able to get a meteor shower cyphastrea. I think the gatorades and the meteor shower would look cool together. Question is, can they touch? Ideally I’d like them to mingle around each other as they grow. Will they even do this as they grow out? Thanks!

E94D36BA-DC59-4EC7-9995-D52F6DB14905.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im going to be honest - i have terrible luck w/ cyphastrea so bump. @Mibu
I have a tuxedo urchin who will eat these. I tried maybe 3 times. He even likes leptoseris. Perhaps because it maybe the similar texture of coraline algae?

Anyhow, The zoa may or may not kill your cypastrea. You really wont need to worry about the cyphastrea over whelming the zoas. It's the other way around. So, they may grow close to each other, but eventually go their own ways. They could even have a fight. Give space between the 2 and let them figure it out if you want to try. Some coral get along exceptionally well.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo urchin who will eat these. I tried maybe 3 times. He even likes leptoseris. Perhaps because it maybe the similar texture of coraline algae?

Anyhow, The zoa may or may not kill your cypastrea. You really wont need to worry about the cyphastrea over whelming the zoas. It's the other way around. So, they may grow close to each other, but eventually go their own ways. They could even have a fight. Give space between the 2 and let them figure it out if you want to try. Some coral get along exceptionally well.
Maybe thats what happened to mine. Slowly withered away.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoas that grew off the frag plug and onto my frag rack. Having said that, this cyphastria has been sitting here for a few weeks and as far as I can tell neither are hurting the other… but at this point I could see the zoas over growing it.

Attachments

• 2FBB1646-B242-428C-B60F-42C6C55671CB.jpeg
    2FBB1646-B242-428C-B60F-42C6C55671CB.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 107

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have further info on this? I have started a little zoa garden and want to put Cyphastrea on a separate but touching rock and am worried that the Cyphastrea will eventually come over and overtake the zoas.

Is this something to worry about? I’m new to this hobby so am uncertain about how stuff like this works

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have further info on this? I have started a little zoa garden and want to put Cyphastrea on a separate but touching rock and am worried that the Cyphastrea will eventually come over and overtake the zoas.

Is this something to worry about? I’m new to this hobby so am uncertain about how stuff like this works
Some zoas grow slower and some grow like weeds. The post above yours is mine and shows a pic of both on a frag rack. The zoas pictured are extremely fast growing and I actually replaced the frag rack and will be cutting the old rack and creating frags of those zoas. Having said that, the zoas were overgrown onto the cyphastria.
If you have some that grow slower, we’ll I don’t know what would win out, but if they
Grow fast, I think the zoas would win.

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some zoas grow slower and some grow like weeds. The post above yours is mine and shows a pic of both on a frag rack. The zoas pictured are extremely fast growing and I actually replaced the frag rack and will be cutting the old rack and creating frags of those zoas. Having said that, the zoas were overgrown onto the cyphastria.
If you have some that grow slower, we’ll I don’t know what would win out, but if they
Grow fast, I think the zoas would win.
So one will eventually take over and kill the other? They cant live together in harmony on the same rock?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you put it into perspective, cyphastrea growth is still slow in human terms. If it escapes onto a rock it shouldn't be on you can just take that rock out and scrape it off or kill it with various things

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back