Cyphastrea - will it grow on glass well?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this coral is in the shades of grey as far as being SPS/LPS. I understand it's hermatypic Scleractinaria. Regardless, I've chose to put this thread in the LPS board.

Im aware it grows fast in proper conditions. What I'm wondering is how fast it will grow on glass. Reason I'm asking is I have a large glass skull "bottle" that once many years ago held tequila. I would love to buy some high end Cyphastrea from tidal or JF, fill this bottle with some black sand, attach a the Cyphastrea, and hope it grows a beautiful mat over it. I want to take a leather of some sort (haven't decided) and attach it to the top of the bottle where the lid is. I'll post a picture of the bottle tonight after work.

In the end I was a sugar skull wearing a leather hat :)

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title should say, will it grow on* glass well?

*FIXED

Last edited:

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why it wouldn't encrust over readily over a bottle. Also LPS and SPS don't mean anything to anyone but us hobbyists. If the corals name scientific name doesn't end in a pora / phora (ugh where does hydnophora fit in!) I just call it an LPS.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be a problem

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the bottle
image.jpeg

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat looking id like to do something like that with montis also wonder how much you could sell that for lol

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its like high end aquacultured coral art. Just a frag of JF is $$$. It's something I wouldn't sell unless getting out of the hobby. Judging from the cloves behind, it doesn't look like a very large skull. This bottle is pretty big. About the size of a softball maybe a little larger.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat looking id like to do something like that with montis also wonder how much you could sell that for lol

I read that monti's will work too, but it takes longer.

Supposedly, Cyphastrea grows very fast in the right conditions. If you want it to grow fast it would probably do best on the sand level. Low light, but most any type of flow seems to be fine. There's little or no skeleton to them I guess. It falls into a weird grey area as mentioned. I'm going for it once the 65G is running.

Who is the owner of that skull with the meteor shower Cyphastrea? I want to ask them some questions about the coral.

Acameron2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that monti's will work too, but it takes longer.

Supposedly, Cyphastrea grows very fast in the right conditions. If you want it to grow fast it would probably do best on the sand level. Low light, but most any type of flow seems to be fine. There's little or no skeleton to them I guess. It falls into a weird grey area as mentioned. I'm going for it once the 65G is running.

Who is the owner of that skull with the meteor shower Cyphastrea? I want to ask them some questions about the coral.

Cornbred has a frog one
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467409223.607142.jpg

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what kind of cyph that is on the frog?

I like jfox bling cyph that pink n green is hot

I'm gonna cover something in my cyph in like a year lol

20160318_204309.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back