Cyphastrea worms?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a cyphastrea from my LFS, it's a decent size and is wild caught, so i am aware that they tend to have more hitchhikers, though there are these interesting organisms that seem to have burrowed into the coral, they don't seem to be causing any harm and are still alive after the dip, I have no photos of them in my tank as I just added it and the lights are out, any idea on what they can be? I have the photo from the website they were there when it was collected, I'm not concerned about the health of the colony because cyphastreas are pretty resilient, I'm thinking clam or featherduster? Any thoughts?
Screenshot_20230811_155017_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably need to post some images (and try to catch them when they're out). Various types of feather dusters can be fairly common.
A side shot would be nice.
Sure thing!
20230820_094202.jpg
20230820_094133.jpg
20230820_094206.jpg

Sorry if they arent the best photos. Using an android phone and the lights haven't turned on yet, my LFS said they could be clams but they surrvived a 15 min iodine dip which is a bit odd for clams, they have an open-closing motion so definitely still alive, haven't seen anything come out of them yet, they aren't harming the coral so I'm not planning on removing them, it is a wild aussie colony so I was aware of more hitchhikers being present, but still don't know what it is, when I first saw them I was sort of hoping they would be Christmas tree worms though that's unlikely

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back