Yellow Strings Attaching to Everything

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what these could possibly be but they're growing and spreading in number by the day it seems like. Tank only had a couple filaments 3ish months ago and now there's dozens. I also know they're organic/alive because even when all flow and pumps are turned off they sway in the water or retract when disturbed. Some just kinda flow in the water and others are very firmly attached at great lengths to other pieces of rockwork. They also all seem to come from a central point that looks pretty dense and is a darker color.

Sorry if the quality of the photos isn't great, I had to zoom in pretty far to get them to be decently visible and ofc there's distortion from the glass and water too.

Any help ID'ing these would be super appreciated! Also to know if it's anything I should be concerned about or not. They seem to be coming exclusively from a rock that my large palys are growing on.

PXL_20240409_154102478.jpg PXL_20240409_154221384.jpg PXL_20240409_154942133.MP.jpg PXL_20240409_154954604.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on that picture above, I don't know why your entire block isn't being cordoned off with the feds coming in like they did for E.T with level 4 ppe. it's not the worm that strikes fear into hearts of millions of reefers from that pic. catatonic fear of palytoxin is so 2024 why are you not trembling in fear

OP
OP
N

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on that picture above, I don't know why your entire block isn't being cordoned off with the feds coming in like they did for E.T with level 4 ppe. it's not the worm that strikes fear into hearts of millions of reefers from that pic. catatonic fear of palytoxin is so 2024 why are you not trembling in fear
I've had them since the start of my tank and neither myself nor my fish have ever had a problem. I inherited them and I think they look great. I run carbon filtration and am kind of a germ freak and scrub my entire arms after I do anything in my tank (and would do that anyway even if I didn't have those huge palys or the several colonies of micro-zoas that I've got).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say hair or spaghetti worm but I've never seen one looking like it's trying to grab everything in reach so not sure. @ISpeakForTheSeas
Yeah, looks like it's a Spaghetti Worm (Terebellid) in this case. Harmless/beneficial.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like it's a Spaghetti Worm (Terebellid) in this case. Harmless/beneficial.
Those connect to rocks and stuff like that??? Crazy, looks like a spider web!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those connect to rocks and stuff like that??? Crazy, looks like a spider web!
They don't really connect to the rocks, but yeah, they spread out their tentacles like that to find food - it can look pretty strange. The worm itself is in the rock where the tentacles are all coming from.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have no clue what these could possibly be but they're growing and spreading in number by the day it seems like. Tank only had a couple filaments 3ish months ago and now there's dozens. I also know they're organic/alive because even when all flow and pumps are turned off they sway in the water or retract when disturbed. Some just kinda flow in the water and others are very firmly attached at great lengths to other pieces of rockwork. They also all seem to come from a central point that looks pretty dense and is a darker color.

Sorry if the quality of the photos isn't great, I had to zoom in pretty far to get them to be decently visible and ofc there's distortion from the glass and water too.

Any help ID'ing these would be super appreciated! Also to know if it's anything I should be concerned about or not. They seem to be coming exclusively from a rock that my large palys are growing on.

PXL_20240409_154102478.jpg PXL_20240409_154221384.jpg PXL_20240409_154942133.MP.jpg PXL_20240409_154954604.jpg
Indeed spaghetti worm and great scavenger that eats uneaten foods and detritus

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back